Thursday, December 21, 2006

Bleu Christmas

Two more finds at the The Cheese Boutique tonight as Sheena tried to beat the weekend Christmas foodie rush. Never leaving the building anymore without claiming sovereignty-association over a big old hunk the now-staple Bouq Emissaire. "Can you give me an extra runny piece"? Sheena pleaded.


Two Quebec bleus of note ce soir: The "Ciel de Charlevoix" - creamy raw cow milk blue cheese. Very faint aftertaste of hockey bag sock, but nothing overwhelming. Would get it again. Nice texture, and was in a mood to show solidarity with poor Michael Schmidt.

Then a thick slice of new favourite the Bleu Benedictin. Cheese Boutique ages it a bit before they sell it. Extra creamy and tasty, without being too stinky or sharp. Also available at Max's Market in Bloor West Village. Though last time Sheena was at Max's they didn't have the rabbit liver pate she really really likes. Sucks.

Nibbled on a small quality assurance slice of each this evening while grilling the lamb saddle steaks. Vino du nuit was a 2002 Sandstone (13th Street) Gamay Noir. Rescued from a secret office storage closet last weekend in Ottawa. How Sheena could have forgotten about 5 cases of primo VQA is beyond me. Old age, I guess.

10 Comments:

At 10:58 PM, Blogger K-Dough said...

used to live out there- lovvved the boutique. stinkier is best to me...

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

Oh come on - where on earth do you live that you can lose 5 cases of wine? People think my place is spacious, but I can't lose things in it!

I just stopped off at Global Cheeses to buy $45 of cheese for my mom - she loves a slice of cheddar at night before bed, with toast, and I thought it'd be fun to give her a whole bunch she's never had before.

Further, I'm with you all the way on Michael Schmidt. I grew up on a farm, and I drank, at minimum, three 8oz glasses of raw milk every single day. I'm 6'1 and strapping, in excellent health. People are nuts if they believe you shouldn't be allowed to sell raw milk.

People can smoke - why not buy unpasteurized dairy? Put a warning label on it if you must, but this is silly.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Sheena said...

I didn't "lose" 5 cases of wine. I just forgot I left them stashed somewhere in Ottawa when I moved last spring.

Where is Global Cheeses?

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kidless christmases totally rock.

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Tarkwell Robotico said...

blue benedictin is a great, great cheese.

sheena, I'm going to drop a lot of dough on cheese and accompaniment booze. dubliner for breakfast but blue stilton for lunch. I'm going to vacuum up pounds of samples at Atwater market.

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays, Sheena.

 
At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your blog is cheesy now.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Sheena said...

YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS!!!!

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

*I'M* jealous! I've never had this cheese! But I will after Christmas, I love the sound of it.

Global Cheeses is that one in Kensington beside the great Hallowe'en/vintage shop? Not sure how foodies rate it - but my amateur opinion says they always steer an idiot like me right!

You know, I really imagined you were in this Wayne Manor type of mansion and you opened an armoire and exclaimed, "Oh, I forgot all about those 5 cases of wine!! Just in time for Christmas!"

After all that cheese shopping, I went for a case of Ontario wine for her, too - I've been encouraging her to drink a glass before bed, because she sleeps terribly.

Not likely to have internet the next few days to a week -- so Merry Christmas, Sheena. You are the bestest there is. In my humble opinion, anyway.

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you want your "partner/podner" to sleep well beside you, buy some memory foam! I screwed up and got a 1 inch one, should have gone for a 2 and a quarter inch, which, damn it is on sale now for the same as the 1 inch. SW doesn't ever want to get out of my bed, though I think the butler service has something to do with that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home