Saturday, December 09, 2006

The Perils of Pub Desserts


While in Ottawa this week, Sheena met her blogmother for dinner at the always favoured Manx Pub, a cozy little downstairs place on Elgin & Frank. Just one block from perennial apres-bar close favourites the Elgin Street Diner (home of the world's most comfortable pillow sized plate of fries and gravy). Just a couple doors down from late-night skank hangout Marroush the Shawarma Nutsi, purveyor of fine lesbian and other mediterranean cuisine.

The place was pretty full when we got there just after 7pm, and the only sit down place with a table was in the corneriest corner of the place. Food is very good, some call it Ottawa's best gastropub. Sheena hates the word "gastropub". It sounds like something a gall bladder surgeon would read on the bus.

My two squinting companions had the Cornish Hen, which looked quite delish. Sheena had the burger with eggplant and cheddar. It was very very yummy, though the fries were too thickly cut, thus not very crispy and too potatoey. If fries aren't crisp, what the fuck good are they. If they could sell Manx Pub burgers with Elgin Street Diner fries Sheena would be all thumbs up.

The blogmother indulged in dessert. Some kind of Bananas Flambe with ice cream. Being somewhat lactose intolerant, Sheena did not expect to indulge in much sharing but we had extra spoons just in case.

When the dish arrived, it was difficult not to exclaim, "Holy shit, that looks like Fish and Chips on top of icecream". The dining companions reluctantly agreed. Instead of being flambed, it was deep fried. I wondered aloud if perhaps the bananas were fried in the same vat of oil that they used for fries and chicken fingers. That made it hard to take a test nibble on the bananas because I kept expecting it to taste like cod.

She ate it though. Figures.

11 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm taking my kids there for dessert, soon. they'll love it. thanks, sheena. it was fun!

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that dessert looks gross! Whatever happened to cherries flambe? I think I am going to cook a spotted dick for my team potluck.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Sheena said...

Great way to secretly slip the kids a dose of cod liver oil, sooey!

Spy! When I tasted my friend's spotted dick this summer in London he lamented how hard it is to find good custard powder in North American grocery stores

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't they all just eat Bird's Custard?
I use it in my Trifle.
Sometimes I just eat the powder right out of the can, why dilute it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird's_Custard

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

EEEEEEEYOOOOOOOOOO - that looks like something I have to clean up after my cat has a hairball episode!

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

reming me never to order bananas flamshamfried.

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my "pub dessert" came apres palomino club @ Sev last night. Can't remember what I ordered. They were chicken and I'm sure I enjoyed them.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

I love deep-fried banana with ice-cream - it's a real weakness. You know, I've never wondered which oil it's fried in, though.

I'm generally in love with all desserts, mind you.

And this new Nelly Furtado song "Maneater". Hello! Can I get a gym membership over here please? This poor little ditty is going to waste without an aerobics class and a lap track.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Crazylegs said...

I just took the one mandatory Psych credit to get my diploma, you understand. But all these references to 'spotted dick' and 'bananas' seems pretty 'textbook' to me. You know? It's all just glistening with undercurrent!

Wait! Glistening? Christ - now I'm doing it too. Whatever can this mean?

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Dinner time?

 
At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last Sunday morning I lined up for brunch at the Manx - line was right out the door. Gave up after ten minutes and went to the Elgin Street Diner. Will try it another time.

Oh, that banana dessert sounds - and looks! - disgusting! Bananas Flambe, fine...fun to prepare, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home