Sunday, December 17, 2006

An Afternoon with Lucky Ron



For anyone who dare says that Ottawa is the Capital of Dullsville and seat of power for Lame-O-Crats, Sheena can only point and Laff at their ignorance. Probably the closest thing Ottawa has to institutionalized drunken rowdiness since the Panda Game got cancelled in '97, Lucky Ron (aka Ron Burke) has been hosting inter-generational singing and drinkin' parties at bars around town, most recently at regular Saturday afternoon gigs at the Chateau Lafayette in the Byward Market. Not many venues that still sell quarts (see picture....cigarette pack strategically placed to denote scale).


Sheena first saw Lucky Ron in 1990-91 at the now defunct Downstairs Club, and only returned to a Lucky Ron show for Canada Day 2005. Try to get back every few months since then, ideally with at least one newbie in tow. Thank God we were fuelled and ready by the Cheese Burger Platter ($6.95) at Mello's. We knew it was going to be a long day.

Lucky Ron has not changed his set list in all of these 2 decades. CDs for sale - the Christmas Special, or the ever popular "Saturday Show". This faithfully recorded and hand-burned CD is the whole show. In order. As it always has been, and Sheena assumes, always will be. Bit o' Johnny Cash, sprinkled with a few trucker tunes, out-stomping Stompin' Tom, with a little Jesus stuff tacked on the end.

My blogmother was the newbie this time. I sure hope she liked the show. This is the CD she bought. That Sheena took a picture of for SheenaVision. With her digital camera. Because I know how to put pictures online.

7 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

grr. just you wait until i get bi-focals, sheena! then we'll see what's what and who's who!

 
At 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

er, also - what's who and who's what!

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

I think I need that mural on my wall at home.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger pam said...

My husband loves that place. I couldn't believe it the first time I went with him mid-afternoon on a weekday. Interesting crowd.
I'll check him out the next time I'm in the market on a Saturday.

 
At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sheena I think that the Panda Game that was stopped after the drunks fell from the grandstand was in 1987.

And the Landsdowne wiki page doesn't even mention the bootleggers!! Idiots!

Otherwise, keep up the good work.

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey! handsome johnny took a shine to me, sheena! not you! me!

 
At 12:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just saw Lucky Ron for the first time on Saturday and it definitely lives up to all the hype. I googled him as soon as I got home and came across your blog. Nice pics!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home