Sunday, August 20, 2006

Riper and Runnier



Spent some time on Saturday at the amazing Cheese Boutique. Stuck off the beaten path near the Kingsway, in an old sausage making plant, it's a bit hard to find the first time out. Good thing they have vans with big yellow signs at key turnoffs pointing the way.

I've not seen anything else quite like it in Canada. Not only do they import the best from around the world, but their own aging cellars for cheese and meats mean they only sell the products when they've hit their peaks. Olive oils, perfect produce, veal chops that could fell a tree... have to see it to believe it. A little bit of Harrod's food mall right here in our backyard.

Today's purchase: a hunk of Quebec's Bouq Emissaire (see picture above...); a package of fruit/nut crackers and a litre of guava juice (inspired by Julie's Lunch' wakalita see Sheenavision passim. The pairing of this cheese with the fruit crackers was a trick learned at the Fat Cat Wine Bar on Roncesvalles (who do a gorgeous cheese plate, mostly from the Cheese Boutique...).

Was going to open a red with it. Probably because I saw
Stratus Red on the menu at the Swan this weekend and have had it on the brain. Most gratefully, an online intervention occurred and the suggestion of a medium bodied Chardonnay was given. Bingo! Perfect moment to open last week's unoaked chard from Deborah Paskus's Closson Chase.

Can't think of a better snack to represent national unity. Though now Sheena has a new obsession, and finds herself getting restless. Is there such a thing as a Cheese-Route in Quebec? I do have a few vacation days left to burn...

11 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

I looove the cheese boutique.
we used to go all the time when it was on Bloor st.
when they moved to the new location we stopped going so often. But occasionally we pop in when we are in the west end. Kind of a strange location, I wonder if they do as much business as they did before (even though the new store is 10 times the size of the old one)?
I'm a big cheese lover, the stinkier- the better.
whole foods has a good selection of cheeses as does Alex's, but I think the cheese boutique is definitely the winner.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Mark Turuk said...

I was never a fan of stinky cheese, until I mistakenly ordered a steak, smouthered in onions, with a slowly-melting chunk of stilton, and sitting in a small pond of boiling miso sauce.

mmmmmm..... cow.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

This one actually is not stinky, quite mild.

And yes, I agree that there is no more perfect topping for a med-rare filet than melty blue cheese. Not half bad on rack of lamb, either.

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Yes. It was a nice rack.

 
At 1:48 AM, Blogger Tarkwell Robotico said...

yes! yes! if you go into any fine cheese shop in Quebec, you can get a map of the cheese routes. there are several.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Joe Calgary said...

Sheena... by the time I finished your post, I had a hard-on. God, I soooo love cheese.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Joe Calgary said...

I've lost access to my favorite, "Ash Goatscheese". My supplier says his source has discontinued it. You have no idea how heart broken I am.

 
At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheena! nice name. Cheese must be good too.

 
At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Passed through Roquefort a few weeks ago. Ate liver and onions at the tabac, supermarket brie for dessert. When in Rome...

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Jesus Christ, anonymous. Roquefort isn't in Italy. Gawd. Where do I find these people, eh?

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

And I'm somewhat disappointed that nobody mentioned my SheenaVision print china pattern.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home