Sunday, June 08, 2008

Baking Chez Sheena

Now, gentle readers, Sheena makes no bones about being a gracious hostess, fabulous cook, impeccable sommelier. But. And there's always a big but (h/t PeeWee Herman). She fails in the womanly skills of doughy baking. A select few of my followers have been subjected to the utter disaster that has been my pie crust. Thankfully flopped and tough enough to be use as Viking repellant so many years ago.


But then Sheena's Ma came to visit and offered to make one of her specialties for breakfast. A flaky tender biscuit inspired by the staple made every morning hot in the wood stove by my Cape Breton Gramma. With just butter or jellies or jams, cheese, whatever, a lovely warm breakfast snack.


"Sheena, where's your rolling pin".

"My what"?

"Rolling pin".

"I dunno, in the drawer I suppose"

"Nope"


And then it dawned on me. Maybe I didn't actually *Have* a rolling pin. Any more. That is. There is a vague recollection of one lodged firmly in the skull of an ex who didn't leave the seat down, but that was years ago....


So being Sheena's Ma, and all, she made do.



12 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feelin' domestic , Goddess ?

 
At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your ma must have had a good mentor and teacher! My mentor and teacher aka Gido - left me his glorious rolling pin - aka left over piece of wood from closet rod!

Nan

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My little SuperStar ...


(h/t to Sheryl Crow)

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

With the utmost of respect, Midnight, you are getting on my nerves.

 
At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Understood . It has been a pleasure , Sheena .

 
At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alternate lines of communication ,
have always been available ,
and at your disposal .

 
At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hummm... me and the oven have had a poor relationship ever since ..... well, actually ever since forever. I make a mean quiche but Tenderflake has always made the crust - could it be that one of these rolling pin things could help me?

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Romantic Heretic said...

Whew. Am I glad I remembered to leave the seat down during my recent excursion to Chez Sheena.

I have few enough brains as it is.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger CheekierMeSly said...

Very innovative on the rolling pin action, Sheena! Will have to keep that in recall should I ever be emboldened to endeavor such.

 
At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lurve the bottle roller. Mothers are the invention of necessity. That's why we have fridges - to keep the pastry cold before we pop it into the oven.

Hint: Modern mother pastry secret revealed above.

 
At 9:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheena ,

Message received , thank you .

I'll try to restrain my exuberance .

Cheers .

 
At 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh , and thanks for the slight tap on the head, with the rolling pin, instead of your wicked two-hander...

Cheers .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home