Tuesday, January 01, 2008

A Windy City Start to 2008


Chicago has rapidly been climbing up the list of "Cities Sheena Could Live In If She Ever Decided To Leave Canada" and so when some work stuff came up in early January, she made a couple of wanna-go calls and boom before you know it had New Year's Eve booked on points. Cashed in some Hilton points to stay at the historic Palmer House, one of the grand old Chicago hotels rivalled only by The Drake (SheenaVisions passim...)

The lobby ceiling is one of the attractions here. Done in the 1920s, as I sit here looking up from the lobby bar feel like I'm drinking in a museum or cathedral. Pretty cool.


Kicked off the evening's activities with a couple of the best classic dry martinis Sheena's ever had. The kicker was the bleu cheese stuffed olives. Can't imagine having any other kind of olive henceforth. Asked for 3 of them when ordering round #2.



Subsequently missed the fireworks at Navy Pier. Go figger.

7 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Blogger CheekierMeSly said...

Looks loverly, Sheena. Perhaps I could join you in a Windy City sojourn sometime!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Leatherhands said...

Those stuffed olives would turn my ass area into a windy city.

Oh yeah, Happy New Year beautiful!

 
At 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did you go to the Golden Mile or whatever it is called (vertical shopping mall)?

 
At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! I'm living vicariously through my kids!

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stayed in the Palmer House once. Like any hotel of that vintage, the rooms are hit & miss-some palatial, some converted broom closets. I had the latter. I could lie on the bed & change the channels on the TV using my toes-twas a little cramped....

reg

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

This was a pretty average room, middle of the road. But it was New Years, so who gave a crap about the room. Did you see the pics of those martinis?

 
At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Palmer House! My, my, I hadn't thought of staying there since my potential career took me through Chicago! Thanks for rekindling some memories!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home