Friday, January 04, 2008

Bye My Dear Baba

Sheena and her beloved family lost their matriarch this week. Good bye my sweet crazy baba. Where else would we have learned in our preschool years to swallow whole raw bacon? And never put pennies in our mouths because Indians scratched their bums with them? And to receive the grace of God by chugging Grape Koolaid and Ginger Ale?

I love you and stand in awe at the sacrifices and hardships you endured just so that your children and grandchildren could have a peaceful prosperous life. The depth of despair and loneliness you must have felt as your family was ripped apart in the Old Country as a teenager. The brutal toil you worked at most of your life to provide a secure and comfortable existence for those around you. The bitterness surfacing in dark moments, but we always understood that you had been forced to lead a life we never needed to fear. We were Canadian. We were safe. Your world was different. We had choices. You had obligations. We thank you. And appreciate the struggle you had to bring us into a world of opportunity.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger Antonia Z said...

Sheena, as you know, you have my deepest sympathy.

My Yiayia was not unlike your Baba.

I often wonder whether our generation, and those that follow us, could ever endure the hardships that our grandmas did.

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger CheekierMeSly said...

Are you headed to the life celebration festivities? Having just attended such for my great aunt Ruby (a fantastic broad), my heart is with you.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Romantic Heretic said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Sheena.

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

condolences

lost my last (and really only) grandparent almost 30 years ago. still miss him

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Keeper said...

She obviously passed on some excellent traits and values.

That is the only true measure of ones worth and the unequivocal meaning of immortality.

She must have been one helluva a woman.

 
At 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sigh :(

 
At 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheena ,

For your Grandma :


Phosphorescent wake ,

I , have never seen ...


Beckons me , in my dreams ...


My condolences .


Midnight Tory

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Raymi Lauren said...

aw

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Whitenoise said...

Sorry for your loss, Sheena.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home