Friday, June 22, 2007

Better Read than Dead, I Suppose...

Congrats to The Star's Madame Zerbisias on the debut of her new gig as "Living Columnist". Sheena is not sure what that says about the other Star columnists, but je digress.

Here it is! Enjoy!

Sheena particularly enjoyed "#1". A little footnote might not be such a bad thing next time. Grr....

Whether we're talking the Prime Minister's Office, the corner office or a dark corner of the globe, it's a man's world.

But imagine the impact if the Pope kept his umbraculum away from our uteri, or if girls stayed in school until 16, instead of having babies at 14.

Alas, I am not Queen of the Planet – although I will accept your votes. So, until my coronation, here are 10 things, some serious, some not-so-much, that would improve life for women here:



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. No matter how much learning a girl gets, her earnings never match a boy's. Statistics Canada reports that the wage gap for young women with university degrees has barely shrunk.

In 1991, they earned 20 per cent less than their male peers. In 2001, 18 per cent. Maybe women gravitate to jobs that pay less, in the nurturing professions, for example. Maybe they take jobs that allow them to have families instead of going for killer careers.

Either way, they make a contribution that has no monetary value.

So, unless you think an investment banker who deals in e-blips is worth more than a teacher who works with troubled kids, you should not be okay with the disparity.

Then why not some tax breaks?

Start with tampons. The NDP has repeatedly proposed that the GST on them be eliminated.

With "feminine protection" a billion-dollar industry, that's $60 million a year padding the federal coffers, all from women who don't exactly have a choice. (There is no PST on this in Ontario.)



"Padding the federal coffers". INDEED BEEAYTCH!

8 Comments:

At 8:17 PM, Blogger Antonia Z said...

I thought about ''pulling the plug'' on the tampon GST and ''eliminating'' the tax on diapers but it IS a family newspaper.

I don't suppose you'll give up your identity when the food editor calls, will you??

 
At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read that tampons are Satan's little cotton fingers, I'm surprised they are even allowed.
You're lucky we haven't put a sin tax on them.

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0999/cotton.html

 
At 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back when i was a girl, my Mammy told me if I used Tampax, I would be ''ruined'' and no man would have me.

 
At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dammit! Don't leave us in suspense Devil Woman.

 
At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I did have those three no good sons.

 
At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Immaculate conception shurely! I think Fred McMurray was faking it.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Well I'm still going to keep on the free tampon beat, even if those so-called Living Columnists are horning in on my action.

Watch this space. No strings attached. Making the feds squeeze harder for their gender persecutorial blood money.

 
At 4:33 PM, Blogger Marky Mark said...

Sheena,

Switching topics, I have a book idea for you. I describe running routes in the GTA and you give a list of restaurant recommendations for the destination of each route.

Today we ended up in the Beach(es) and who knew where was the best place to go for hungry runners for breakfast? Where was the best coffee? Brunch? People watching patios?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home