Monday, May 07, 2007

Story of the Week

Sitting poolside with The Peach and Sheena points out an older gentleman with a big ass gauze bandage on his forearm, thinking "ewww, I really hope he didn't put that gross bloody sore in the swim-up-bar pool".



She says "OMG! I wonder what happened. I chatted to him the last couple of days before you got here and he's such a nice man". So she swims thong-side up over to him to get the scoop. Sheena the eternal realist figgers he just fell his drunk-ass off a table or something, but when she swims back aghast, I wonder if maybe it was something more serious.



"He went on the day-trip to Dolphin Cove with about another dozen people...They spotted a small sized shark...Everyone else was able to get the hell out in time, but because of his disability he didn't make it and got bit". Holy cripes. Sheena had never met someone who had been bitten by a shark before and made an effort to introduce myself, because well, not a lot of people I know can say that they know someone bit by a shark, really.



He described the story, and we felt bad, and protective of him, and admired his strong and calm wife.



The next day, his experience was the buzz of the shooter bar. "Poor Guy!" Wow! I was going to do the Dolphin Swim but no way now! You're right, I should cancel my booking! Geez, that guy's L-U-C-K-Y!!"



And then his wife swims by, getting a refill on strawberry daqs. And we comment on their strength and resolve and wonderful spirit, still having a lovely time despite the extreme close call. And she looks at The Peach, tilts her head somewhat quizically and carefully asks... "You didn't actually believe that tale of his, did you"...



Turns out he did in fact fall on his ass, gouging his arm and cracking a rib or two, but no where near any fins. So next time I swam by him I bared my teeth, saying "be nice or I'll bite you too". And asked what other parts of the struggling Jamaican economy he was going to wreck next.



7 Comments:

At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe .......... fell for the rotting sharkbait again.

The ending was a real downer though.

"So next time I swam by him I bared my .........."

Sigh, back to page 3.

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Budd Campbell said...

It's good to know that the web is following in the intellectual footsteps of television.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

This guy is my new hero! I love him.

But not as much as Spider-Man 3!

 
At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gawd, Sheena. Haven't you ever heard of a land shark before?

Was he from the Sault, by any chance?

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

I just realized my foot shot has a first growth mosquito welt just beginning to erupt. Either I'm getting hyperallergic to mosquitos as I get older or the skeeters in tropics are different than the bloodsuckers I knew and loved growing up in the 'Peg.

I look like a leper today. And spent money on non-generic cortisomething because the itching is making me mental.

 
At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so, no pix of naked romps through the ganja fields north of Negril?

 
At 10:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, I believed it too, at first... fcs liars!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home