Friday, April 27, 2007

When I Look Up All I See Is A Giant Yellow Sunshine Smile


On the Queen streetcar earlier this week and something in the window at Katharine Mulherin gallery caught Sheena's attention. Had to go back and see if in fact I saw what I saw or if it was in my imagination.

Yes. There on the gallery wall was a gigantic pair of yellow gitch. Big old grandpa panties. I laughed. And looked again and laughed.

Then I chatted about what I had seen with some online acquaintances. And went back again a couple of nights later to look and take some pictures. And I laughed some more. Went for cocktails, and showed my pictures to the cronies at the bar. Laughed with them. Decided that no, these weren't gitch, they had clearly transited into well defined gotch territory.

Then it dawned on me that I think I wanted to buy the big giant yellow gitch. El Chaperone thought I was loco. But then I explained that looking at the man-panties made me happy. I laughed compulsively whenever I saw them and wouldn't that be nice to wake up everyday laughing and smiling. To walk into the room after a stressful day at work and immediately sprout an automatic grin. My house would always be a happy house if I bought the big stretched out dirty underpants. No one could ever be sad here again.

That is what art is all about.

I think I'm going to check the price.

4 Comments:

At 7:12 PM, Blogger Whitenoise said...

I could sell you some nice, blue ones... 'Course, they're kinda high-mileage, but probably a lot cheaper....

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Are they big huge gigantic and wall size? Because really, that's what caught my eye.

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alex Colville and "GITCH" or is it "GOTCH". Side by side we hang!

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Gledwood said...

What an unpleasantly stretched pair of underpants ... you said something on Whitenoise's blog about "the only city where ..." what city u in then? I'm a klutz at N American geography. Until last year when I started blogging the only places I knew were NY and LA and Montreal (bc I did French at school... so where are you?

This is a fascinating looking blog btw. As I said I found you via your comment in Whitenoise ... you're welcome to drop round at mine if you like it's called gledwood2.blogspot. My "secret diary online" I used to call it. Really it is just a blog like anyone else's. See you there maybe tho.

L8Rs,

Gleds

 

Post a Comment

<< Home