Sunday, October 29, 2006

Dusting Off The Old CD's Sunday

One of those sit quiet and be still fall Sundays watching the darkness fall early, whether we want it to or not.

Rummaging through the CD cabinet and resurrecting old favourites.

Harlequin. Ahh.... Sweet Home Manitoba!
Best seen live in their natural habitat (aka a Trashcona social) but the Greatest Hits CD is a way to soothe the homesickness.

Pretty in Pink Soundtrack. What the '80s were all about. Grrrr... now where is my Psychedelic Furs cassette....

Madonna. Ray of Light. The words that go through Sheena's head each and everytime she buckles up and brings her tray table forward....
Faster than the speeding light she's flying
Trying to remember where it all began
She's got herself a little piece of heaven
Waiting for the time when Earth shall be as one

And I feel like I just got home
And I feel
And I feel like I just got home
And I feel

Quicker than a ray of light
Quicker than a ray of light
Quicker than a ray of light


And what's on right now. My old friend, the wit of the 4th year seminar class, the woman who could poke holes in Mulroney's economic policies with a straight face even after getting a beehive do earlier in the day.... Ellen Reid. The Dummy, The Brainiac... my missing friend.

Sheena's recommendation du jour: Scour the world for a copy of her 2001 solo offering "CinderEllen". It's fricken brilliant. Frighteningly well written.

5 Comments:

At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm guessing the chauffer is out, or has fled upstairs?

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

I've never watched Pretty In Pink :( But I love the song from it (I'm pretty sure it's from it). The one that goes something like, "Touch you once, touch you twice, naa na naa na na na na...." That was a great song. I've never seen Breakfast Club either.

One song I've come to love this year is Such Great Heights by the Postal Service. There's also a melancholy Iron and Wine cover of it that I sang ad nauseum to my kitty cat when he was on an IV drip in the vet's office:

They will see us waving from such great heights
'Come down now', they'll say.
But everything looks perfect from far away,
'Come down now', but we'll stay


And then I would cry, and then start all over again.

I'm sure you're wondering what my most played iTunes are - here you go:

Dance With Me - Adam Green - 733 (I left it on repeat one day)
Tattva - Kula Shaker - 281
Come Into My World - Kylie Minogue/Fischerspooner - 273
Hey Ya - Outkast - 230
Spirit In The Sky - Norman Greenbaum - 162
Such Great Heights - The Postal Service - 154
La Vie En Rose - Grace Jones - 151
The Planet Krypton - John Williams - 142
I Touch Myself - DiVinyls - 137
I Spy - Pulp - 136

I love the name "CinderEllen". Lovely.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Heh heh... Oh Jason...
Good memories of being dragged out of clubs while dancing to the Divinyls...

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

You always make me feel like I haven't really truly lived, Sheena.

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elvid said...

SHEENA WAS FRIENDS WITH ELLEN REID!!
Will wonders never cease

 

Post a Comment

<< Home