Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Australian Haka

For a couple of Saturdays over the last few weeks, Sheena has been decamping at Scallywags Pub at Yonge & St. Clair to watch Tri-Nations Rugby. Last game of the series is next Saturday (Australian Wallabies v. South Africa's Springboks). Sheena's team is the New Zealand All Blacks. Not just because she's an urban hip chick who looks good in dark colours, but because she had about 16 hours to kill in the Auckland Airport couple of years ago and had nothing to do but shop and drink.

Now, Sheena's more sports-savvy readers may say, "Hey Sheena! Don't be a fuckwit, the Australians don't do the Haka, only New Zealand does". She knows this. For those readers who don't know what I'm talking about, click on the below clip to see the NZ national Rugby team perform the ancient Maori dance of victory and intimidation:



In Brisbane a couple of years ago for a 2 week stint (pre-Sheenavision, but widely reported on the innerdnets as "The Bane of My Existence"). Out for lunch one day with a client and a southern hemispheric colleague. The client insists that it's his turn to treat me. As the foreigner. As a key resource. As the girl he wants to impress.

Buddy picks the restaurant...the bottle of wine...insists that I have the Pavlova for dessert.

And then the check comes. The client goes for the wallet. Hmm.. Checks his pants pocket. Then the other pocket. Turns a little moist on the brow. Goes for the jacket pockets. Pats himself into a frenzy. "Oh, well.. dear. Must have let the wallet back at my desk".

My Aussie colleague (who was a New Zealander.. funny how my favourite Aussies always turn out to be Kiwis) turns to Sheena and whispered.... "See that? See that Sheena? You've just witnessed the Australian haka"....

7 Comments:

At 2:56 AM, Blogger scout said...

oh great, remind me never to go out for dinner with someone from oz!

my dad and all the boys were rugger players but i've never had the opportunity to see the all blacks. i've seen maoris on cultural exchange with the squamish nation, and man oh man are they strong and powerful!!!! it was way cool!!!

the traditional hula, not the watered down stuff the tourists see, is similar to the haka. originally only the mahu (gays) were allowed to hula. it's strong stuff and they often make gestures to madame pele (volcano goddess) that are like 'kiss my ass'. lots of grunting chants and absolute goosebump effect.

i don't have a tv but i'm rooting for the all blacks in my heart.

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Sheena said...

Oh scout, I'm laughing my ass off right now because you put "squamish" in your post. Until I actually watched rugby, somehow since childhood I always conjured up images of Mad Magazine's "42-Man Squamish".

Classic Mad

 
At 3:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuck your embarassing Sheena. However I do the same thing meself at work. Only I don't have a corporate job so I pick on the youngest, least educated, least experienced, most moronic employee in the place.

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger scout said...

geeze, as a constant reader of mad as a kid , where oh where did i miss '42 man squamish'??? prey , what was the 42 man squamish?

ah for the good old days of alfred e. and '25 cents, cheap!'.

 
At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't see that travelling to australia does anything but reward crime. keep turning that blind eye, sheena.

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger Candace said...

where did the link go??? I've seen the Haka, but not for years. Do they still have that big monstrous guy do the wiggly-finger-thingy at the end?

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Sheena said...

Hmm... all links seem OK on my end, Candace? If the one here doesn't work, search youtube for 'haka'... there's a few clips to choose from.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home