Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Best Sandwich in Ottawa


Sheena revisits her old stomping grounds on and off the next couple of weeks. First stop off the train is the one and only DiRienzo's Grocery. It's a grocery store with a deli. Great place for all kinds of weird pastas and big barrels of olives and those weird little amaretto cookies that I love even though they hurt your tongue.

Now Sheena spent a lot of time in Ottawa's Little Italy over the last few years, and I can easily say that the above picture was clearly taken when the store was closed. From 11am to 1pm on weekdays, the place is lined up outside the door.

You really have 3 choices - all $3.50 (that's GST in, and AFTER a price increase from $3 last year...) Custom made sandwiches, pre-made sandwiches or boxed pasta to go.

Option 1:
In assembly line fashion that would make both Henry Ford AND Seinfeld's Soup Nazi green with envy, the luncher picks just the right bun out of a big crate. The buns alone are treasures, the right balance of crusty and chewy. Must research source.. I think I know, but need to verify. Luncher then selects from a deli counter jammed pack with every meats, sliced cheese and interesting fillings like roasted eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, to name a fraction. Pre-tested combinations are listed on the whiteboard, and yes, you can order by number.

Option 2:
Premade. This was Sheena's pick probably 35% of the time. The hot sandwiches are premade and wrapped in saran wrap and piled high at the counter near the door. Italian sausage, meatloaf (REAL HOMEMADE), roast beef, chicken and pork (again, all real cuts, not processed meats), Veal cutlets, western and all kinds of creative variations with cacciotore, piccata or marinara toppings. 15 seconds in the microwave and the cheese drips all over your hands and keyboard.

Option 3:
Pasta. Sheena began to gravitate to the pastas more often in later months after discovering the tortellini. Fresh homemade sauce, grated cheese, always rememebering a napkin and fork...

Ask any Ottawa cop, firefighter, paramedic or maintenance worker where it is. There's usually a half-dozen civic vehicles parked out front during lunch rush. No interac, just cash please...

10 Comments:

At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all that food I hope you are not putting on lot of weight.

Sounds delicious.

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does Sheena think of Luciano's? I would be a size smaller if I could stay away from that place. I love their house sauce..mmmm...

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Sheena said...

I dunno anonymous.. I'm not materialistic enough to spend money on things like scales, but I suppose if I was, I'd be friggin thankful I'd have a layer to burn off when the grid crashes sometime in our lifetime. If was a parent, I'd thank god on high if I had fat ugly kids. Better chance of surviving, I'd say.

And Pam? Never been to Lucianos. Spill yer guts....

 
At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my. grr. i wish i worked closer to little italy...

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Leatherhands said...

Gee hon, thanks for making me absolutely salivate.
BTW, ever had an eggplant on focaccia at Moustache's in the basement of the St. Lawrence market? Friggin' to die for. Shit, I'm going to get one now...

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sheena,
Luciano's is on the corner of Preston & Somerset (it's a grocery) but they have a fresh pasta place around the side, facing Preston. They have every noodle you can imagine and a huge variety of homemade sauces. The house sauce is a rose and it's amazing.

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In typical Ottawa bureaucratic style, Di's was targetted by the hateful Parking ("I really wanted to be a real cop") patrol.
They handed out $75 tickets to patrons who were illegally parked while they dashed into Di's for the awesome described sandwiches et al. This money grabbing behaviour received a wonderful rant via Chez 106 (fav station).
Yes even in Ottawa eating on the run is more expensive than restaurant dining!

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sheena if you want that experience in toronto, skip little italy and go to La Salumeria on yonge couple blocks above davisville. best sandwich in TO!

then pop up one more block for Carlo's Pasta Pantry for your fresh pasta!

tell them I sent you, use my real name with La senora before it!

i used to live up there and the food is excellent! gypo

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Cameron Campbell said...

In Montreal it's this little place next door to the Ben and Jerry's on De Maisoneuve, well for deli stuff at least.

I'd say that Santropol is pretty good, if you can stand the über slow service.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger Yaz and Chris said...

Gotta agree, Di's the place to go in Ottawa for your fresh sandwich fix. I have to level with you about Luciano's though...I shopped at Luciano's for years and have generally found their food and service to be good. However, my most recent experience was far from decent.

I picked up some buns for lunch (the ones they have pre-bagged for $1.99). When I opened the bag at home I found a moth in there flying around with the bread. Ew. When I returned with the bag and offending insect still moving around inside, the woman at the cash looked at me said "well...maybe it came from...somewhere". Yeah, like your filthy store perhaps? I grabbed another bag as I had spent the money and didn't want to argue about a refund (it was 2 bucks), but the woman sat there at the counter within earshot complaining about my return the whole time to another co-worker. Great way to treat your customers eh? Don't apologize for your uncleanly products and talk about your customers when it's your establishment in the wrong.

Totally disgusting. Although Di's may look a little less shiny and new than Luciano's, I've never found insects in my food when I bought anything at Di's and I certainly never got any attitude from the guys behind the counter.

Stick with DiRienzo's.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home