Five Things To Eat Before You Die
Surfin' around the innerdnets last night, Sheena stumbled upon this site - Travelers Lunchbox and decided to run with the challenge.
Reading through the hundred+ comments to date, realized that I've cut a pretty decent swath through our planet's plant and animal taxonomy. Says the host blogger:
The things on the BBC list I haven't tried are: Moreton Bay Bugs, alligator, guinea pig (though I had the chance in Peru... but chickened out!), shark, Australian meat pie and durian. What about you?
To which Sheena replies: Check, Check, Nope, Check, Check and touched/smelled but not tasted.
Geez. This is a tough one. Foie Gras a staple. Hot Krispy Kreme dripping down the chin - yep. Wide range of runny cheese from 2 continents. Sushi and Sashimi galore. Full-on Argentian parilla. Kangaroo, bison, quails, moose, rabbit. Real Newfoundland cod cheeks and chips with dressing. Cheese grits, chitlins, sweetbreads, oysters on the half-shell (including during the milky season).
So I am making 2 lists. 1 - Sheena's recommendations to other food bloggers and 2 - things on my to-do list.
#1: Sheena's Recommendations:
* Malpeque Oysters with just a little squeeze of lemon. Close your eyes, swallow it like the world's biggest loogie and pretend you're at the beach.
* A real Argentinian parilla. For less than a full McDonald's supersized meal, sample 7 different cuts of meat. Best if you don't guess what it is. Or any Argentinian beef done on a proper wood fire grill.
* Drunken Prawns on East Beach in Singapore. Just don't watch when the waiter lights the match if you're squeamish. Not for PETA prospects.
* Big bowl of borscht using only beets, potatoes, carrots, beans and dill picked from the garden that same day.
* A perfect creme brulee.
#2. My To-Do List:
* Brains - calf's or lamb's. Intrigued when I saw "Crusted Lamb's Brains" on a gastro-pub menu in Brisbane but didn't get up the nerve. Would have done it if it was on the parilla menu this spring, but wasn't.
* A truffle. In Piedmont.
* A Big Mac. For real, I've never eaten one. Never really wanted to, but probably should before I die.
Name your poison here, or at the original site. Made me think.