Friday, September 01, 2006

Five Things To Eat Before You Die


Surfin' around the innerdnets last night, Sheena stumbled upon this site - Travelers Lunchbox and decided to run with the challenge.

Reading through the hundred+ comments to date, realized that I've cut a pretty decent swath through our planet's plant and animal taxonomy. Says the host blogger:

The things on the BBC list I haven't tried are: Moreton Bay Bugs, alligator, guinea pig (though I had the chance in Peru... but chickened out!), shark, Australian meat pie and durian. What about you?

To which Sheena replies: Check, Check, Nope, Check, Check and touched/smelled but not tasted.

Geez. This is a tough one. Foie Gras a staple. Hot Krispy Kreme dripping down the chin - yep. Wide range of runny cheese from 2 continents. Sushi and Sashimi galore. Full-on Argentian parilla. Kangaroo, bison, quails, moose, rabbit. Real Newfoundland cod cheeks and chips with dressing. Cheese grits, chitlins, sweetbreads, oysters on the half-shell (including during the milky season).

So I am making 2 lists. 1 - Sheena's recommendations to other food bloggers and 2 - things on my to-do list.

#1: Sheena's Recommendations:
* Malpeque Oysters with just a little squeeze of lemon. Close your eyes, swallow it like the world's biggest loogie and pretend you're at the beach.
* A real Argentinian parilla. For less than a full McDonald's supersized meal, sample 7 different cuts of meat. Best if you don't guess what it is. Or any Argentinian beef done on a proper wood fire grill.
* Drunken Prawns on East Beach in Singapore. Just don't watch when the waiter lights the match if you're squeamish. Not for PETA prospects.
* Big bowl of borscht using only beets, potatoes, carrots, beans and dill picked from the garden that same day.
* A perfect creme brulee.

#2. My To-Do List:
* Brains - calf's or lamb's. Intrigued when I saw "Crusted Lamb's Brains" on a gastro-pub menu in Brisbane but didn't get up the nerve. Would have done it if it was on the parilla menu this spring, but wasn't.
* Horsemeat.
* A truffle. In Piedmont.
* Turducken
* A Big Mac. For real, I've never eaten one. Never really wanted to, but probably should before I die.


Name your poison here, or at the original site. Made me think.

17 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

will be in piedmont during truffle season this year...
yahoo!
oh and creme brule. yeah baby.
durian is delicious, especially when pick straight from the tree. amazing.
okay, let's get down to business.

5 things I would recommend:

1. Buffalo mozzarella.
very simple and now readily available.
never cut it with a knife, just gently tear in into pieces.mmm.

2. satay skewers on a road side stand in Thailand.
it may seem a little daunting but trust me, the best mystery meat I've ever had.

3. I'm with sheena on this one,
frois gras or truffles...very deliciously sexy.

4. lamb chops from St. Malo France.
these little creatures feed on only the salt encrusted meadows by the sea-side.

5. speaking of sea-side...Cancale oysters, picked fresh, with the seaweed hanging from the shell.
no garnish, lemon, or hot sauce necessary.
oh yeah.

6. (i know I'm going over)
crack the windows..
Pont l'veque fromage or chabichou...mmmm

7. rosemary chocolate truffles from J.S. bonbon here in T.O.
oh la la.

My To Do List:

1 .Coney island hot dog on Coney island.

2. a falafel in the middle east.

3. chorizo sausage sandwich in Borough Market in London,
big daddy assures me it is worth the wait in the Que.

4. sashimi in tokyo.

5.anything on the menu at French Laundry in California...not the one in Vegas...
or if I can't get a reservation,
a meal at Michael Stadghtlander farm.

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

oops..
I should have posted all this on my own site..
sorry for hogging all this space.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger myredwagon said...

I'm with you on the big mac...never had one. As a kid I was always afraid of the special sauce, so I opted for the quarter pounder with cheese. People never believe I haven't indulged...glad to meet another freak!

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Havril said...

So you've never had a Big Mac, huh? But can you sing the song -- "Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese..."?

 
At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheena would stop right there on the Big Mac rant. She doesn't believe in pickles on anything. In fact - I hear she's trying to have them banned.

I think that's something else you need to add to your list though. I would like to witness you eating a pickle. Good ol' dill kosher pickle. Just one bite.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

I would rather eat braised donkey anus in mint sauce than eat a dill pickle.

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone likes dill pickles, Sheena. Have you ever tried a dill pickle? What about dill pickle chips? They are wonderful with Big Macs and Lucky Beer.(24 for 24! A Buck A Beer!)

Sheena, are you a pickle snob? Fess up.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Sheena does not eat pickles. I have my reasons. Cease and desist this gastroharassment immediately or I shall shut comments down toute-suite.

 
At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, okay!!

Does Queen Sheena eat pickled beets? Olives? Pickled onions? Pickled eggs in jars in sleazy bars?

I'm sorry if I've crossed the line. Enquiring minds want to know.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

No - love beets but never pickled
No - Plain or Rippled only
Olives - yes, in all forms. Not pickles in Sheena's book. So shaddup.
No.
No.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Joe Calgary said...

I don't see Prairie Oysters on that to-do list Sheena. You've never experienced those eh?

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger scout said...

to die with (for)
moose, most definetly
creme brule, oh ya!!!!!
new york cheese cake
fina's fried bananas at a casa paticular in cuba
cedar planked salmon

yet to try:
elk, curiosity has always been sheep's eyes, bear,

no no no!!!!:
lamb
djion mustard
relish
u.k. deep fried mars bar
just about anything in japan save kobi beef

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Joe Calgary said...

Sheena, the next time you come to Calgary, drop me a note and my wife and I will treat you to the finest Ceaser salad in the world.

Family secret.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Nope, never done a prairie oyster. Though I know one of my regular readers certainly has...

Will keep you advised of any Calgary excursions, Joe C. El Chaperone lived there for a few years and is itching to get back. I'm a 'Pegger girl at heart, hate the idea of elevation.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Sheep's Eyes?

I have no comment.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Or should I say... ewwwwe...

 
At 2:58 AM, Blogger scout said...

please, no lambasting....or is that lamb basting?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home