Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day

The biggest compliment Sheena ever overheard her father give her & her sister was spoken in the heat of an argument many years ago.

"I pity the men who end up with those two bitches because they're turning out just like you".

I think about these words often. I realized yesterday during my weekly hair appointment in Bloor Village that Sunday was Mother's Day and no I hadn't sent a card, or flowers or a gift. So in lieu of any of that crap, I will write this blog entry and then go phone Mom and read it to her (because Sheena's Mom doesn't do the innerdnets).

Thank you Mom for being the single largest influence in my life during the most crucial formative years.

For raising me in a house full of books and magazines and respecting the power of words.

For exposing me to a circle of strong funny women and demanding we develop a quick wit and sense of humour if we were going to sit at the grownup's table at dinner. (All my female friends are jealous when I tell them I was raised by a coven).

For reminding me that money and good taste have nothing to do with each other.

For teaching me that just because one was poor, doesn't mean one needs to look it.

For letting me trust my judgement and make decisions for myself.

For allowing me to leave when I needed to be on my own.

For not crying in front of me the day I packed up all my possessions and bought a 1-way Greyhound bus ticket.

For teaching me the basic comfort foods like homemade stuffing, bread from scratch and forgiving my utter complete failure with pie crusts.

For instilling the fundamental commandment of never counting on anyone to look after your security and financial stability. Especially a man.

For encouraging to reach beyond my station.

The first time I bought a pair of Gucci loafers (at a SAKS season-end-clear-out sale) and slapped down my credit card to buy them, I said "thanks mom" in my head.

The first time I wore them in business class, I said "thanks mom".

The first time I flew on a private corporate jet, the only woman in a sea of testosterone, and held my own in conversation, I said "thanks mom".

When I have 10 minutes to myself and get to explore the world, sitting in front of the White House, touching the Conde Nast building in NYC, at the payphone outside the Eiffel Tower, I pick up the phone and say "thanks mom". But rest assured I say it in my head much more often.

Ok, gonna call you now.

15 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

OK, I just read it to Mom and she liked it. Yes, I will print off a copy and put it in the mail box for you.

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger pumpernickel said...

Well said...don't forget to call Baba as well.

 
At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw. That's very grown up of you, Sheena. I'd thank my Mom for kicking me when I'm down (she's from the survival of the fittest school of child rearing) but she can't stand sentimentality.

Also, she thinks Mother's Day blows chunks. She'd say of our childhood school-made gifts, "Jesus Christ - stop bringing junk into the house."

I'm kind of the same, but I just wait out the season and then throw it out.

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this really got me.

Luckily for me, I managed to send season one of Six Feet Under to me dear old ma. She's caught it on tv and thinks it is a complete riot, so I thought she may want to see it more fully.

I just watched Running With Scissors, which made me appreciate to the fullest how great a mom I have...!

 
At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shoulda went to visit Mom Sheena. Seems if I don't see my mom on Mothers day I don't want to see anyone elses either.
I sit at home -baking cookies & wishing I was a kid again - making cookies with my mom.

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Well go take your brother for a beer or something. Beer and cookies.

 
At 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just moments left before Monday - seconds remain for a final opportunity to wish SheenaLand a Happy Mother's Day one final time for 2007...!

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Leatherhands said...

Too bad your Dad didn't respect the power of words.

 
At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said
Thanks

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Sheena. No doubt, your mother is proud of the strong, intelligent, sensitive woman that is you.

 
At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

now that was awesome!!!! i had a hung-over daughter appear 3 hours late, but she made me a bracelet and earrings. i read to her the true meaning of mother's day....how it was started to celebrate and honour women who are activists. i told her that next year i'd like to meet her at vancouver's woman's monument project......she seemed surprised by the origins and my request but somewhat willing....we'll see.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger tkkerouac said...

That was beautiful
I love your mom
what was wrong with your dad?

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Raymi Lauren said...

whats with that sooeys place and why am i always discussed in that forum??

 
At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your mom thinks you're the greatest Sheena - even though she lives in a small town Canada and does not indulge in innerdents! She wants to teach the world to start writing REAL letters again

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Sheena said...

Sooeys likes you Raymi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home