Monday, May 21, 2007

Chica Go Go


Goddammit all. Having to cut my trip somewhat short this week. Had hoped to take a couple of vacation days at the end of the week. Chicago is such a kick-ass city sometimes I even wonder if I like it more than NYC or San Francisco. Blasphemy, je sais.

I really really wanted to pop in at the Conrad Black trial, but just ran out of time.

You see. Sheena feels a certain personal connection to Lord Black. Yep. On October 7, 2005 Sheena looked Conrad right in the eye and totally regretted wearing her shitty travel shoes with a week old pedicure poking out. It was in the Red Carpet Club at Washington Reagan Airport. I still had a couple of calls to make. There was some stupid fake bomb scare in DC, so it was one of those goddamn "all circuits are busy" kind of days.

So I used the public phone in the main area. As I settled in to dial, I looked behind me and there he was. Stone faced, unmoving, unblinking. With a monogrammed garment bag at his handler's side. It said "BB". Oct 7 was the same day he got the NY apartment assets seized. So Sheena could understand the upside-down frown and borrowed luggage.

I had to ask a question on my call. Sheena froze. The words she was asked to say were pretty much on the topic of shit he had allegedly done. So she instant-messaged her peeps on the other end and pleaded mogul-chill. Silenced. By Greatness.

Favourite place in Chicago to sit and relax: Top of the Cock

8 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

i love Chicago too.
it reminds me of Toronto but in many ways much nicer.
especially the architecture.
good restaurants as well- though they do get a little carried away with the portion sizes.
happy hour is always a bonus.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Leatherhands said...

Chicago's great as long as you don't have to set up an exhibit in McCormick Place. The fucking teamsters are just plain scary. If you don't kiss their asses, buy them coffee, and treat them with great reverence at their carpet-taping expertise they will make your job a living hell. If you try to do any work yourself, such as, say, plug in a light, they will be waiting for you with baseball bats in the back alley. I shit you not.

Re: Conrad...sounds like a normal day for him. He defines the term "perma-scowl".

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger 668 aka neighbour of the beast said...

i have never been to chicago. one day.

nice touched by fame story.

 
At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget about searching for Conrad & Babs. Go to North Halstead & cut loose with some blues. My favourite spot was always the Kingston Mines.

Reg.

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger CheekierMeSly said...

Missed the top o' the 'cock with you this time, Sheena, but there's always next time. Did you Stop 'n Drink? And why was yer trip cut short?

 
At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear that a lot about Chicago. A LOT!!

But you're not Conrad's type, Sheena. He likes... Anti-Christs.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Sooey, I am very disappointed that you don't think I still have the power to evolve as a woman.

 
At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn, just think, you could have told the other end of your call that some arse was behind you ....or turned and said to him, 'excuse me but i'm on the phone with castro...'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home