Sunday, March 25, 2007

Note to Self

Perhaps rethink any future dinner RSVPs to the Laramie household.

An Ottawa woman is recovering after eating dog food and then becoming violently ill, in a case possibly related to the rat-poison-laced pet food that has killed 14 dogs and cats and sickened dozens more across North America.

Elaine Larabie said yesterday she ate some dog food last week in an effort to convince her terrier, Missy, to do the same.

Soon afterward, both Larabie and Missy found themselves in the hospital - Larabie at an after-hours emergency room, and Missy at Ottawa's Alta Vista Animal Hospital.

Initially, the devoted dog owner did not think dog food made her sick. "I thought I caught a virus, but then I realized I ate the food, and put two and two together," she said.

For three days, she suffered a range of "confusing" and "embarrassing" symptoms, including loss of appetite, vomiting and foaming of the mouth. She also had problems urinating.

7 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Blogger Candace said...

I saw that. How incredibly stupid is she? And to go public?

Had she not recovered, she'd have been in the runnerups, at least, for the Darwin Awards.

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as I know, there's nothing normally in store bought dog food that would lead to the death of a human, as it shouldn't contain ecoli, or other food poisoning, so she's not really stupid. It's kinda strange though to think you can demonstrate to a dog that the food is ok by eating it though - they aren't babies.

 
At 10:17 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

That is what struck me as the stupid part, saskboy.

I"ve eaten a kibble or two as a joke, but this story is just too bizarre.

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Whitenoise said...

Geez, I thought it was cute. Share food with my shep all the time... 'course it's people food, but same dif.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger pumpernickel said...

I had a friend in politics that used to say that he'd go home and eat a spoonful of catfood so that he'd be used to it when he retired. Now this dumb-ass woman, makes this farce a near-tragedy.

She shoulda stuck to the dry food.

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

She is stupid. I eat dogfood and dog treats all the time - but would I fucking walk ANYWHERE remotely near a microphone or camera after this happened?

Putz.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger JJ said...

I always stick with Kibble. The lamb and rice stuff especially, it gives me a healthy lustrous coat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home