Thursday, January 04, 2007

VIP Treatment

Starving and achy getting off the Greyhound bus late on Wednesday night, Sheena was too hungry to wait to get home, so she implored El Chaperone to please stop somewhere close.

Looking up, thinking "Hey! I really need to bring some people I know here", Sheena opened the door to a very cozy and warmly lit pub, packed with artsy student types chatting and laughing.

The Village Idiot Pub on Dundas & McCaul has a great food menu, excellent beer and likker list, and crappy overly Flashed website.

The Australian 2-flush speed toilets were fun to see again. Left button for a light #1 worthy flush; right button for a heftier #2.



Steak sandwich seemed to be a whole shaved cow on a bun.

And the crispy frites on the side of the Shepherd's Pie were a thoughtful touch.


I mean, who would have thought that french fries dipped into mashed potatoes could be so delish.

8 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my. i wanna go there when i'm in toronto next. but please tell them i don't want TOO MUCH shave meat on my sandwich. i HATE that. there is such a thing as climate change, you know.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

Wow, really? I bike by Village Idiot all the time and always imagine it to have pretty lousy hamburgers and limp salads. Fascinating. You make it sound great - they should have do their site!

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Sheena said...

Actually, Jason, their burgers looked amazing and regretted not ordering one. Looked big and home made.

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheena, I was thinking of you while I was away on holiday's... you'd a been proud o' me girl.

I tried 32 different Tequila's... although all I can say for sure is Gold is better than White.

Unfortunately, Mexicans still don't know which end of the cow the good meat comes from... but hey, they have imported AAA Alberta beef at Costco now, so it's possible to survive.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Jesus, Joe! 32 tequilas?!?
That's a blog entry of yours I'd actually read... ;-)

 
At 12:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took notes... the Don Julio 2002 was the best in my mind.

I took a tour of four different distillers, and I even found one that only comes in a 3 liter bottle, for $5 bucks, that you'd think was honey. It was so sweet you'd forget you were drinking Tequila.

Plus I tried a few moonshines... talk about getting my ass handed to me.

I'll do up my notes so you can read them and fire them off to you. Just give me a few days.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Ah! I still have a Don Julio that I bought down there when I was in Mexico City on business a few years ago.

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you guys should resolve to drink more hard liquor and eat more red meat for 2007 in case your livers and colons start taking you for granted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home