Sunday, July 23, 2006

Highway to Hull



Ok, when a good friend and former almost neighbour said "Hey! WTF, Come up for the annual Bluegrass Nosepicker's Fest and Money-Grubbing Cash Grab Extravaganza", Sheena found it profoundly difficult to say, "Oh Sorry, Washing Your Hair".

Not that I don't lurve my bald friends, but they are more demanding than expected.

Challenge #1: Swallowing pride, gall and bile to actually instruct L'Express du Pony to turn onto "Autoroute Cinquante"... No.. no.. it's not the highway of bad beer. It's worser. It's the unfinished road to Hull. The neverending cash cow of asphalt pourers and blind surveyors this side of the Beauce.

Note to tourists: Despite the signage found from Ottawa to Buckingham.. said Hiway will never ever ever actually get you to Montreal without crossing into Ontario. Unless you have bear traps, a canoe or snow-shoes.

"Grr..", Sheena said. "Are we on the guest list".
"No", HeyfuckoffICanGetFifteenBucksAHeadForThisLineUpGuy informed me.
"Grr"... "OK, YOU drive". Sheena informed her Chauffeur du Soir, being the decision making forward looking strategist that she is.

Evening was an absolute delight. Bluegrass banjo/string/nose-picking to please the most jaded palate. Crowd evenly split between intense enthusiasts and yappy drunks who were just happy to be out of the house.

Challenge #2: Looking beyond Cousin Jeff. Sheena turned in amazement and barfitude to her compadres and said "OMG.. lookit the old guy pawing the teenage chick". Jailbait, as she was more commonly known, was storing a pack of smokes down her low-rise jean butt-crack and semi-pretending to be indignant at the Gino Vanelli/Michael Bolton cross breed grind-dancing with her to the dulcet strains of Aerosmith.

"Piss off Dad, you're crushin' my smokes", Sheena yelled, in her defence. Gawd. Nobody has a sense of humour anymore.





11 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

Sheena, I had a dream about you early this morning - I dreamt that you were the roommate of a certain young man who puts on Foxhole at the Gladstone.

I can't imagine I'm actually psychic in my dreams, but I just gotta ask if you live with S.M. Even if you just know him, it would still be an amazing breakthrough for my hidden talents.

I've had the phyllo-wrapped chicken before, and liked it quite a lot.

I bet you didn't know that I helped do the drywalling in Sweaty Betty's.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Sheena said...

Wow, Jason, thanks for the insight into your late night sweaty nightmares. I have consumed many beverages at the Gladstone but I don't know what "Foxhole" is.

Betty's has drywall? Neato. I thought it was all held together with piercings and tattoo patterns.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Joe Calgary said...

Sheena, the next time I'm in TO, I'm going to take you and your ratpack of crazy broads out for a night on the town.

The least I can do for someone with a decent sense of humor, and a pension for food and booze.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

You're close - the drywall is held together by piercings and tattoos.

I know Pol and Selena well - I saw them last Friday at Foxhole, in fact!!!

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Who the hell are Pol and Selena?

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Joe Calgary said...

Maybe Vulcans?

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger K-Dough said...

Sheena runs a pension? Cool. I'll make sure I direct all my wayward, looking-for-fun drunk out-of-town rock friends her way.

Of course, that will free me up for hapiness every time they are in town.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

No... I get my pensions the old fashioned way. I chase geezers with big wallets and bad hearts.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Joe Calgary said...

Hey wait... thats almost me. Heart still good, not quite a geezer, big wallet... oh wait, the wife has dibs on that.

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

Oh, Pol and Selena operate Sweaty Betty's and Sparrow... I thought you knew them, everyone at Sweaty Betty's seems to know them eventually. You'll know them eventually!
PS - I got SUPER stoned accidentally last night and was looking through a friend's Comics In America encyclopedia treatise on pop culture and morality etc., and found a whole page of SHEENA. Of course I thought of you.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Ok, cool Jason.
I probably have met them and just didn't pay attention. I'm like that with most people. But now that I know that they have the power of free beer, Sheena will become more attentive to all that yammering and nattering around her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home