Monday, June 05, 2006

Moral Dilemma


Sheena procured these last Christmas.

When worn in public, they average 2 comments per day ranging from the "OMG I love your shoes to OMFG I really love your shoes".

Clients, competitors, fashion mavens alike all have dripped saliva over said units. When I say, "And they're the most comfortable shoes I've had since the '99 Gucci loafers", I realize I risk physical harm and social shunning.

Today took the cake. Sitting in the front row of a presentation at George Washington U, five minutes before the presenter begins, she exclaims in my general direction (with the microphone ON) "I have to say, those are the most adorable shoes I've seen in ages.. I just had to tell y'all that".

Sheena blushed and said pssshhhaaawww, and all that, and thanked her for noticing.

But then the dilemma sets in. Everyone wants to know.. who are you wearing, where'd you get 'em, how much did you pay.

And as the clash of soul vs. sole wreaks havoc in my heart I realize that I cannot lie to another woman. I have nothing else to say but "Payless. Winnipeg. 30 bucks. Canadian".

And they all walk away. And my eyes well up. Wishing I had a better story to tell. But don't.

5 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Blogger Crazylegs said...

I had the exact same thing happen to me recently. Someone looked at my shoes and said (I'm paraphrasing), "Those are the cleanest, whitest sneakers I've seen! Where'd you get them?".

So I said (and, again, I'm paraphrasing), "Walgreen's. Near DisneyWorld. 24 bucks. American".

Yup, that's what I said. And they really are the cleanest, whitest sneakers you've ever seen.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Leatherhands said...

I had a full length nehru collared leather coat custom made for me at an S&M shop a couple years back....a huge indulgence on my part...and was rather surprised at how many people asked me where I got it, how much it cost, etc. I was unprepared and could only mumble out incoherent answers and/or give blank stares.
Finally came up with the definitive answer: "they only make these for people who look like me."
Didn't make a lot of new friends that year...

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Tarkwell Robotico said...

add, -30 degrees, 30 feet of snow, 30 foot walk between my car and the store door.

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

think I saw Star Jones wearing a pair the other day?

Fenderbender

 
At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen those shoes at DSW and I always think of you. Except they have them in a maroon/pink scheme and I've been tempted to buy them but have not.

~ rie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home