Sunday, June 04, 2006

Dispatch from -. Street


As mentioned in blogposts passim, Sheena has been been lusting for a committed relationship with the Kimpton Hotel chain for several years. Alas, geography, market distribution and the annoyances of an apartment of my own have interfered in what could truly be a stellar pairing.

Back to the scene of my first time: the The Topaz near Dupont Circle in Bush Gardens. Din-dins in the lounge. Crab spring rolls with spicy cold noodle salad and peanut sauce on the side. Washed down with the Lavender Karma martini (vodka, lavender-infused syrup, sour mix, candied lemon twist garnish... nice floral flavour, but a little sweet. Colder might be better. I'll ask for side of ice if I ever order it again).

The place seems a tad more restrained than the last time I spent time here. While the totem/worry rocks are firmly ensconced in the bed, the big round cushion/couch from the middle of the floor upon which an ex-brit gal pal attempted to convert an urban studies policy wonk who played exclusively for the other side is now gone from the room. Times change, I guess. Those were the Clinton years, now that I think about it....

Onwards and upwards to the Blue Nirvana: Citrus vodka, blue curacao, sparkling wine and a touch of sour. This is more like it, though I hate it when the barwenches shake up a bubbly based martini-style drink. Grr.. wastes the bubbles.

Front desk staff aren't wearing their caftans tonight which is rather disappointing. I thinks I'll ask for a discount as compensation for the unmet expectations.




2 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh. yummy pictures. new camera?

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

New camera yes...
but these were all lifted from the hotel website.

don't EVER forget the Sheenster's propensity for never lifting an unneeded and redundant finger.

Except maybe when I'm driving.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home