Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Forbidden Skate

OMG. Sheena is creaming her pants just recalling Thursday night's dinner. A repeat visit to Kali's Court (http://sheenavision.blogspot.com/2008/03/ive-had-song-tarzan-boy-in-my-head-all.html) when another place couldn't take the group that had now doubled in size. Some bigwig movers and shakers, so we went with what we knew and loved from earlier in the week. Since this night Sheena was NOT on the hook for the bill, she ordered the thing that had caught her eye last Tuesday. "The Forbidden Skate".



Truly one of the more memorable meals of 2008 to date. Yes, a little girly squeal was emitted from my Clinique Brick Red lipsticked mouth... And despite the greyhairs and pundits surrounding me, Sheena looked up and said "I'm sorry, I know this is really geeky, but I have to take a picture of this..." They nodded and concurred, and even looked over a little enviously since they ended up with a bouillabaisse that subsequently rendered a $700 tweed jacket into a week's supply of preppy ass wipe.

I poked delicately at what looked like a white taffeta skirt. The skate wing had been carefully seasoned in butter and garlic and some subtle mystery spicing the waiter swore he'd try to figure out but was considered proprietary and secret intellectual property of le chef.

Tucked under the bridal bustle of ray was the forbidden part of the dish. A rare Chinese black rice known as "forbidden rice". Very nutty and crunchy. Lovely texture and mild flavour. A light butter sauce and a handful of lightly wilted greens topped it off.

And then the orchid. One perfect lovely orchid. Made me wish I could have ordered a viognier paired just with the orchid.

I wonder if an all-flower diet will get me into bikini shape for my as yet unnamed beach vacation in late April...

2 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy, Jesus !
Looks like a Magic Mushroom ,
I once ate ...

The effects are still lingering ,
as you may have surmised ...

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Raymi Lauren said...

jesus your palette is bananas

 

Post a Comment

<< Home