Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Legend of Hair Cut Island


A few days ago Sheena unpacked some old boxes and was pleasantly surprised to find some old pictures. She turned to the other person in the room and softly exclaimed... 'that was one of the best days of my life...'

Moments later she was on the innerdnets hotline to The Beast.

Sheena: "I found them".

The Beast: "Found what".
Sheena: "The pictures of haircut island".

The Beast: "OMG. You have to send them to me. That was one of the best days of my life...."

It was many years ago. We were in our earlyish 20s. It was the Summer of Road Crew and Fishing Camps. The one and only pogey cheque Sheena ever collected in her whole life. A last minute Greyhound Bus trip over the Canadian Shield, only to be picked up late at night in pickup truck playing David Wilcox. That was when I hated David Wilcox. He's OK now.

While The Beast charmed rich Americans and earned tip money, Sheena wandered around, sleeping late, keeping a low profile in the crew cabins, listening to far too much Bobby Brown for anyone's good.

At last. The long awaited Day Off.
We got up early and packed a lunch. We did that a lot back then. Always packed a lunch. And a litre of wine, that got warm by 9am, which is when we cracked it open after a strenuous 10 minute canoe paddle. A lazy float in the sun. Glad to be away from it all. Two pals catching up on missing months of gossip and banter and the kind of oneupmanship only a couple of chicks with ambitions bigger than their station can muster.

We saw a little island up ahead. Full bore ahead. This is where we intended to skinny dip and suntan and nap in the warmth. Get a bit wasted and make sand castles or something.

We paddled up to a little cove and dragged the canoe up onto the beach. Fucking Fuckity Fuck. There were people already here. Bloody hell. Our fun ruined.

A half a dozen pot bellied middle aged guys standing in a circle down the beach from us. The suckitude potential of the day hit us square in the eyes.

And then the men moved aside. And we saw the Secret of Hair Cut Island. On the beach was a chair. And on the chair a man. And the man on the chair was getting a haircut. And then he got up, and another man sat down. He too got a hair cut.

The Beast and I looked at each other, a little bewildered. This is not how we expected our day to unfold. But here was our destiny, in all its trimmed and razored glory.

They had beer. They had speed boats. They offered to tow the canoe. And so off we went. A day trolling the open waters, enjoying the hospitality of well groomed men. Peeing in the water, getting a sunburn, and taking home a story that no one ever really believed.


Until today...



10 Comments:

At 6:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheena, that's so comical...

I don't suppose you asked, why on the island?

Probably some 'cult' thing...


Anyway, I rarely get nostalgic, but your pictures bring back so many memories, of places I've camped and partied, including a few islands, in the 'Shield'...

And I find myself suddenly 'pining' for summertime (no pun intended)...

Oh! I rarely sit in lawnchairs, and am usually one of the last still standing, at all day/night outdoor parties, but one time I passed out in a lawnchair...

As it had at some point in the night , started to rain, someone had covered me in a blue plastic tarp, and wedged my cowboy hat on top of my head, to keep the tarp in place...

I woke up in the morning, sitting under a tarp in the pouring rain, wonderin' WTF...

But I immediately found my cooler, and cracked an ice-cold frosty, to clear the cobwebs, and start the day...

Thanks for sparking my memories, babe...

 
At 6:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And today is March 17.

Happy St.Patrick's Day !

 
At 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh , Sheena ...

I don't mean to hog your blog, but wow, some of the parties we had!

My then GF's brother, had a place half way up the Niagara Escarpment, and the 'barn', was the old/original Caledon Ski Club clubhouse...

The runs were grown over with bushes, and even a few small trees, but there was now a spring-fed man-made pond, at the bottom of the 'runs'...

The moon, skimming along the top of the Escarpment, to the west...

Stars over-head, and amongst us...

My then girlfriend, and several other chicks, dancin' topless, at midnight...

50 - 70 people, rockin' like there's no tomorrow!

And there were always a few old-school 'real' bikers around, so no semi-drunk punk, ever tried to play touchy-feely, with our topless dancers...

We danced to Def Lepard, the Scorpions, Motley Crue, the Cult, AC/DC, and a whole lotta Southern Rock, amongst others...

I still believe, that AC/DC's 'Who made Who', and 'Whole lotta Rosie', are two of the best party/dance songs ever...

Cheers, Prost, and Na Zdorovlia!


Midnight Tory

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG , Sheena ...

(And I'll shut up for awhile, after this).

Your writing , is poetry .


(And I'm not trying to be cute , or flirtatious here...).


I just triple-re-read, your above post, and suddenly realized, that if you let every sentence, stand on it's own, perhaps with a space-line in between, then that would be, and is, one of the best poems that I have read...

No need to space, now (unless you want), cus'we all know how to read it now.

Sheena, it needs to be said again:


Your writing , is poetry

Your poetry , is your writing

And your poetry , dreams ...


Midnight Tory

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Lady ,

Pardon my earlier thickness ,

But I believe , You

Are the Legend ,

Of Hair Cut Island ...


Midnight Tory

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Raymi Lauren said...

give me summer

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

why not make the last pic enlargable?

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Cus , the horizon is crooked ,

Listing , ever so slightly

to port ...

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger The Slightly Sour Cook said...

This was truly one of the best days of my life. Reading it makes it all come rushing back. You tell it so well! We are going back this summer and bringing our own fat bastards (or bastard). I love that your a part of so many of my best moments.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Thank you for teaching me that paradise is only ten minutes from the Government dock.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home