Sunday, November 18, 2007

MUC Day 1




Lufthansa ORD > MUC landing on time at 6am. European customs still puzzle Sheena. Seems way more slack ass than trying to get into the USA. Maybe they just like Canadians more.

Luggage and then off to the S-Bahn. THANK GOD ALIVE that the train strike ended yesterday or I'd be up shits creek without a euro. Catch the S8, then the S4. Walk about 3 blocks to my hotel lugging suitcase and laptop bag.

At 8am, nobody is at the hotel. Note that I have not yet slept in approx 25 hours. It is cold out with snow on the ground and the door is locked. So I phone the after hours number on the front door. A nice lady answers immediately, says she expected me later in the morning. Trusts me to give the key combination so at least I can wait in the front lobby and stay warm.

She shows up within the hour, I pull all the covers off the bed and nap on the couch until noon. Work for a bit.

Comb my hair, change the clothes and hit the train to head into the city for sightseeing and something to eat while it is still light out.
Disembark at Marienplatz stop. Lovely architecture. Kind of a pissoff none of the stores are open.







Spent some time in St Michael's Church, the 16th Century Jesuit cathedral that got tasered during WW2 and has been beautifully reconstructed. Bought my postcards from here.







Took a few pictures that I'll try to upload later of the amazingly pretty door handles.

From there off to find some food. Not much open on a late Sunday afternoon. Ended up having Italian food. Four cheese pizza and some local rosé Tafelwein.

Wondered WTF this store was supposed to be and avoided looking in the window.


Wander a bit more and then am getting FC so go back to the S-Bahn train to head back. Eyes and legs are tired. Fall asleep and go past my stop. LOL. I need a vacation.



8 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Blogger Romantic Heretic said...

Very cool, Sheena. Lovely pictures.

From what I've heard, the Munich ground controllers at the airport are, surly.

One day a British Airways flight had just landed. The controller told them to "Go to Gate 35."

"Just a second," replies the pilot, "I'll check my map."

"Haven't you been to Munich before?" asks the controller in a snide tone.

"Yes," comes the response. "Twice. In 1944. But it was dark and I didn't land." ;)

 
At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An old friend of mine, had a German friend who served in the Luftwaffe, and when he asked him if he'd ever seen London he replied:

'Only from the air...'

BTW, re: Wormland.

Don't underestimate ze Sausage.

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

somebody find out what's in worm land!

 
At 11:53 PM, Blogger dog gone it said...

Spy,
What kind of a spy can't perform a simple Google?
It's a men's clothing store ... ho hum.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Leatherhands said...

Awesome shots Sheena. Loved my experiences in Deutschland; a very civil society. Only complaint...everything has fucking schwein in it. Eventually I would be saying "nichts schwein bitte!" even when ordering coffee.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Sheena said...

umm... these aren't my pics. But Thanks!!!

I have been without camera download for a few weeks. Long stupid story.

These are links to pics already out there that look closest to the ones on my camera from last night.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Leatherhands said...

Speaking of pix, I've got a beauty of the Butternut Squash soup my wife made from your profanity peppered recipe. You would have been proud. Damn, fucking good. (We've got enough in the freezer for another 4 servings each...)

 
At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should label it: "Butterfuckingnutsquash Soup".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home