Monday, June 19, 2006

FIFA Foe From....


Perhaps Sheena has lost a little bit of her Canadian soul, but there has been more World Cup soccer consumed in the last 2 weeks than hockey over the entire NHL season. Maybe my perspective is bigger these days, more interested in how the World protects its nuts than just Lord Stanley and his cup.

It took me awhile to decide who to cheer for. Ukraine? In honour of my half-bohunk heritage? Brasil? Proven winner and best drumming bands? Perhaps a feel-good story like Togo or T N T or Ghana. Or do I support my home continent and ask for a swift beating by yelling out "U-S-A!! U-S-A!!" at every chance?

Most fun I've had at a sports bar in ages was last Saturday afternoon, watching Italy v. USA. Went down to a little pub near my new neighbourhood in Little Stabbingtown. A gang of snarkmeisters sitting behind us, adding to the perfect mood. By the end of the match we'd finalized the cast for "Miracle on Grass II". With Don Cheadle as the guy whose goal got called back, and K-Fed as a greasy Italian backfielder. Leslie Nielsen as the Italian coach and Matt Damon as "Pretty Boy" McBride with the bloodied nose. Still hadn't quite finalized Sheena's loyalty though...

So, at last I decided to vote with my Airmiles and pull for Argentina. The host country to my lovely vacation a couple of months back. Land of the hand-stitched futbols, melty beef and highway anarchy.

So imagine my shock this afternoon when I called some Brit associates in preparation for my trip out tonight. They were wrapping up for the day and heading to the pub. They extended an invitation for me to join them tomorrow after I land to see the England v. Sweden game. I heartily agreed, just pleased as punch to be included as one of the guys...

And then they asked me who I was cheering for this year. And I told them.

And I heard a click, and some static... "Hello? Hello???"....

9 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, Blogger Crazylegs said...

I feel your pain. My #1 son gave me an Italia shirt for Father's Day. A perplexing choice since I'm, ummmm, not Italian. Not even a teeny bit. Apparently the choice hinged on shirt colour, and Blue won the contest. What the hey; I wore the shirt all day like the Good Guy I am. Upon entering the dressing room for last night's pickup hockey game, 2 of the more Faux British types actually threw rolls of tape at my shirt. And they were serious. Fucking hooligans. They're everywhere.

 
At 5:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got a free Brasilia t-shirt in a box of Carlsberg...

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Leatherhands said...

crazylegs,
I avoided posting my Netherlands flag on my car (there is relevance in my case..) just so I wouldn't be included in the testosterone madness I so despise.
Soccer is a game of finesse that can only be played by people in extraordinary physical condition. At it's best, it is like ballet. What that has to do with being a stupid drunken fuck has always eluded me.

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Brits would pummel me, Sheena. My Swede and I caught the first match last week on a jumbotron outside Stockholm, and we're rooting for Sweden to prevail against the odds.

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger ninepounddictator said...

Why is it I like soccer fans so much more than hockey fans?

 
At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have been watching the games in spanish because we don't get abc and espn/espn2 around where i am from.

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger Sheena said...

Yay! a new member of the wankosphere! Welcome, GeekusMeechus.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Crazylegs said...

Why is it I like soccer fans so much more than hockey fans?

Because of our well-developed leg muscles and the fact we cry at the slightest provocation? Oh, wait. That's players.

Fan, eh? Hmmm... could be something to do with patience -- having to wait 4 years to see a World Cup. Beer? Hope, nothing unique there. Maybe it's related to our vaguely exotic looks; the black-socks-with-sandals kind of vibe.

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hockey looks stupid, is our problem, sheena.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home