Monday, August 04, 2008

Bohunk Days Chez Sheena

Long weekend Sunday Chez Sheena means Borscht. A leisurely stroll through St. Lawrence Market in Toronto on Saturday, fondling the ripe plentiful bounty of Ontario's farms... strong phallic corn cobs, firm rounded b-cup sized beets, sturdy sensible potatoes and the dill from my very own box.

Oh. and lame-o packaged carrots I found at the back of the fridge and had to use up fast. And an onion.


Slice up the onion & carrot and lightly sautee in some olive oil until a bit tender but not fully cooked.

I had a leftover steak from the other night so threw it in for real beef goodness and so as not to be wasteful.

Pretend you are a Greyhound bus passenger.


Chop beets, potato into 1"ish cubes and throw into the onion & carrot mix. Add the steak. Add about 10 cups of water and enough powered beef stock for the amount of water (depending on what stock mix you use... I am not a powder snob with beef stock, but detest powdered chicken stock). Go figure.

Even threw in the nibletized corn from the 2 leftover cobs from the Rib Fest on Saturday. Was a surprisingly fantastic decision. The sweetness of the corn really nicely matched the beet sweet. Will do this again.




Lots leftover. Call me.

6 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Blogger Romantic Heretic said...

Looks absolutely delicious. *drool*

How can I call you when I don't have your number? ;)

 
At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

416.539.8783 - I've got red and white and champagne. Oh, and some Our Compliments lemonade.

:P

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks amazing, so colourful and yummy!!

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Raymi Lauren said...

aren't carrots always lame-o? unless you've got insider carrot info or something?

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

I saw purple carrots at the St Lawrence Market on Saturday but I was too racist to buy them.

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger Raymi Lauren said...

you blew my mind

not on the racial front tho i already knew that WINK

 

Post a Comment

<< Home