Saturday, August 04, 2007

A True Fashion Story (updated for salad pic)


While Sheena is loving her new house and having fun exploring the new 'hood, she still finds herself unable to tear herself away from the old 'hood on Queen W. Dinner with El Chaperone at the Gladstone Hotel. My new favourite thing to eat there is the Near North Salad. Very interesting mixture of ingredients: mixed greens, spiced nuts, grapes, grilled salmon, teensy new potatoes. Had swooned every time I've had it and have yet to polish off the full plate. $11.95 and is a substantial meal.

Ok, so we're yakking and catching up and figuring out some of the last move details. Then somehow the conversation turned to a big box of Sheena's old stuff. You know the kind, stuff that has to be sorted and left behind. Too good to throw out, but not new house worthy. Really all you can do is put it into a big box and drop it at the donation box.

Shoes that never fit right. Souvenir shirts that are hideous. Trade show tote bags that are too ugly to use in public. Vintage shop purses that seemed like a good idea at the time. Dresses from 15 years ago that haven't fit for 10.

I asked if he dropped off the box. He turned a bit flushed and squirmed on the bar stool. Sheena zeroed in and asked the question again, more directly. A flood of words flowed out but all I could make out was "turquoise" "dress" "cross dressing party" "I love this".

Huh?

20 minutes later the full story emerged. Some of the regulars at Sweaty Betty's had been invited to a cross-dressing party and didn't have anything to wear. So El Chaperone cherry-picked my box of stuff and took it to the bar. So my shoes and dresses were passed around from guy to guy like a cheerleader with a runny nose until one of the gals in the room shrieked "OMG I LOVE THAT DRESS" and saved it from humiliation. I thank her.

So before my next trip to the neighbourhood Sheena needs to steel herself and mentally prepare for the sight of Zanta in my prom dress. I think I can deal with it.

Updated to add picture of the Near North Salad which is pretty much the most perfect non-hot meal ever eaten.

14 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG hehe

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Raymi Lauren said...

cool story hansel, sheena, what do you look like?

 
At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's a good thing you rented your wedding dress.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Leatherhands said...

You have to do what I call the "three year clean-out." Everything I haven't worn in three years goes to either a) clothing drop box or b) land fill. (If it's in crappy shape.)
I had a repro- Michael Jackson red leather jacket...you know the one with all the crazy diagonal zippers?.....made for a band I was in by a company who sponsored us.
Sold that at a garage sale for $100.00 CASH. Yeah mon....

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Raymi, apparently I look like a cross-dressing drunk.

Anonymous, yes, I have always been a forward thinking type of girl.

Spy, yes I found it funny too. The next day.

Leatherhands, you are very right. I do that with men so should start the same routine with clothing.

 
At 2:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in a thrift shop in Bancroft the other day, picked up a "Valentino" silk and linen jacket, a BOSS 3 button that I will never wear and a Harry Rosen blue blaser... and a tie.. 10 bucks total and they all fit me (42L)

cost more to have them dry cleaned, not that they needed it

and an excellent egg salad sandwich



can't say much for the local internet

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Leatherhands said...

Fenderbender....we just missed each other. I was in Bancroft not 1 week hence. Just sayin'

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Whitenoise said...

Funny story. ;-)

What is it with you and recycled clothing? Didn't you have something for a big, yellow pair of briefs a while back?

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Raymi Lauren said...

and cos i know you care, my next email to frank will BLOW your MIND, here is a taste - i have the dude's home number, cell number, and personal email AND i know how frank mag avoids being sued every issue too. fil said the pic they used of me was not one of my most flattering. fire baby.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Whitenoise - the giant yellow underpants were not recycled, they were fucking art. OK? Geeez.

Raymi - thank you. Frank often goes through a summer story lull so I appreciate you picking up the slack.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Whitenoise said...

art... yeah, right. Voice Of Gotch... how could I forget.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Whitenoise you are funny for a 'burban guy.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Whitenoise said...

don't encourage me, or next time I might not recognize the sarcasm... ;-)

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger CC said...

Apparently, you and I have a common acquaintance. Drop me an email and we can chat.

CC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home