Sunday, July 08, 2007

Goth Art: Go For the Angst, Stay for the Cherry Tarts


Last night attended the opening reception for the Dead City Collective's show at the Propeller Centre gallery at 984 Queen W.


Dead City Collective artists work in many different media and idioms but they all share a Gothic sensibility. Pop Grotesque and Slap Stick Mutilation in the tradition of the Grand Guignol is often the order of the day. Much of the work displays a dark humour and playfulness despite the occasionally grim themes.
Their art portrays idiosyncratic and deeply personal meditations on Death, Sex, Human vs. Robot, Love and Loss, Evil vs. Less Evil, the Eccentric at odds with the merely Peculiar. MORE YIN, LESS YANG is the group’s 5th show together.
Was super-excited to go, knowing that one of the artists is an occasional SheenaVision commenter and noted online wit. The spread was nice. Highlights were the homemade cherry tarts. The artist's lovely lady made them with the cherries from the tree in her front yard. They were really really good. Took one to go.


Sheena bought the warrior priestess pictured above. Cassandra Verminko is the artist and her charcoal sketches were powerful and lovely. When I saw it, I knew this would be the first thing put on the walls of the house I bought on Friday.





The show runs until July 15. Go check it out. But keep your paws off my art.

22 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Blogger Leatherhands said...

Wow, that's a great piece you bought! And double congrats on the house purchase....is it where I think it is?

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Thanks. There are other lovely pieces too... should check it out.

Unfortunately Sheena will soon be leaving this crazy neighbourhood she has come to adore so much.

Off to Kitchener/Waterloo at the end of the month.

 
At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not moving to Kitchener/Waterloo/Keeper territory are you?

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger CheekierMeSly said...

You threatened to invest in artage to decorate your recent purchase. Good on ya!

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Sheena said...

DW: Yes'm

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a fun piece. I lurve, too, the blue green ladyborg.

Congrats on the house, Sheena. I get a vicarious thrill whenever anybody buys real estate.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Funny you mention the green lady borg, if memory serves me correctly I think that was Cassandra's too. It was hanging on the wall near some of her other work. Maybe someone can confirm for me??

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would keep my hair in a braid if I were you.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Antonia Z said...

Oh hey congrats on the house! Does this mean that the wanderings of Sheena will cease and we will be subjected to the offerings of the local Kelsey's, Montana's, Mongolian Grill and The Keg?

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

No. It just means I'll travel more.

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heheh - yah, between Kitchener and Waterloo.

I've never been there. Two-name places freak me out. It used to be that way with Port Arthur and Fort William until they became The Lakehead and then Thunder Bay. We went to the United Church growing up, too. Knowing that it was really two churches, Methodist and Presbyterian, used to bother me no end.

It never ends for me.

So when are you having a house painting party, Sheena?

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Ottawa-Hull, bee-yatch.
Never. No painting necessary.

Grass cutting and taking out the recycling party invitation in the mail.

 
At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what's with that picture of the cockroach having sex with the lady? eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

 
At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah - that piece "bugs" me too.

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

famous stupid people is on!

i like what you bought...in fact is was pleasantly surprised by the art you posted.

you bought a house....wow, good on ya!

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well spy, the piece is titled "Gregor Samsa gets Laid"

Gregor if you recall is the protagonist in Franz Kafka's... Metamorphosis.
He's filled with such repression and self loathing that he becomes (or thinks he has become) a cockroach. I felt that if he could just get some tail he would feel much better about himself. Even a bug deserves love, look at that cucaracha smile.

http://bmillar1.users.btopenworld.com/kafkabig.jpg

 
At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ignore that last link

 
At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl! = Nannie

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

I think I might pretend to be an anonymous patron and go get one of 'dem Social Darwinisms, too...


Though I suppose it might creep out gentleman callers.

Oh well. So be it.

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

I love the piece you bought.
and a new house..congrats!!
we actually lived in kit/waterloo for a couple of years when I was a kid- it's such a pretty part of the province.
I bet the housing prices are a helluva lot more reasonable than they are here in the big smoke.

I have a ton of cherries from a recent trip to a cherry orchard, those mini tarts are adorable.
not a bad idea.

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sort of a mini tart.

 
At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

with ginormous breasts

 

Post a Comment

<< Home