Sunday, July 22, 2007

Street Art

Bought three pieces off the street at Queen W in that strip between Spadina and Soho in front of the Black Bull Tavern yesterday afternoon after a very nice burger and salad for lunch.


First two are 8 1/2 x 11 size that will probably go in the office. Seems workish themed to me. The artist is Tjie Tsang and his portfolio can be viewed on his site here: Cadaver Perception.



Last piece was something I'd had my eye on for a couple of weeks. Mike Parsons of Hey Apathy is often working right at Soho & Queen W on his very distinctive and recognizable black and white drawings. His comic books are there for sale too. As I pack up and leave TO it will be a great souvenir. Nice guy, and I think he was telling the truth that it was his favourite piece these days. Glad I talked to him a bit, because he pointed out the little mini superhero. He put it there so the little kids wouldn't get too scared of the Godzilla CN Tower crushing the city. Very thoughtful.



13 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

those are all super scary, especially the heads on pikes.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Awwww c'mon spy.
These are warm sunny summer weekend sketches. That's how I bought them and that's how I'll always remember them.

 
At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you bought those???!!!

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Yes.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger pam said...

They are very cool but a little creepy. I would have bought them, sheena. Kind of remind me of the ROM as a kid. Those little heads scared the hell out of me.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Really? You guys think they're creepy? I dunno. I just wanted a little piece of my beloved Toronto urban grit to take to the farm with me this week. Now I feel bad. Will I alienate my new neighbours?

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger pam said...

Creepy and interesting. I think your neighbours will love it, at least the neighbours you'd like to meet.

Why can't Sheena move into my boring neighbourhood?

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger K-Dough said...

I love that shit ... I mean art. I'd hang it. esp. The tower monster thang.

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

K-Dough, then head to the corner of Soho & Queen W, in front of Black Bull and pick some up.

He has a range of prices. I paid $150 for it, is pretty big - but he also has smaller panels with similar themes lower priced.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Mark Turuk said...

One is the bird, the other is the docs... ;-)

Would that make the little head on the side, 5th Dime?

;)

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Le Cinque Dee was ALL about a little head on the side...

 
At 2:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your moving out of t.o.? wow.

next time you go art shopping, try cuba. incredible stuff by masters for el cheapo. but then again they wouldn't remind you of toronto street grime, so the heads on posts will have to do.

what, you're going to hand them in the dining room?

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

I take it your new place won't be all puppies and kittens...
interesting choices.
I especially like the one for the office.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home