Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Sweet Tea Or Not Sweet Tea


She has suddenly remembered one thing she absolutely LOVES about the Southern USA. That is choice. Choice between pre-sweetened ice tea and NON sweetened ice tea. Sheena has not drank ice tea in Canada for many many years because I can't stand that artificial sweet flavoured crap that we tolerate for some unknown reason. She in fact prides herself at being an exemplary cultural ambassador by gently grabbing the wrist of visiting Americans attempting to order iced-tea in Canada... looking intently at them and discreetly shaking her head, letting them know with her eyes that 'you don't really want to go there, honey'.
Down South, pretty much any dining establishment ranging from fast food to mid range chain predictable fare to higher ended no-squirrel zone gourmanderies you always get to pick. At any meeting, there are always two clearly and distinctly labelled jugs.
Sweet Tea or Not Sweet Tea.

I had forgotten just how wonderful unsweetened iced tea (with maybe a little squeeze of lemon) can be. I've had it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. No gassy farty inducing carbonation. No puky tooth-hurting sugar blast. Just cold pure slightly bitter tea over a bucket of ice.

I could drink this every day with every meal for the rest of my life.

10 Comments:

At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we have American customers come to visit we get the occasional "iced tea" spew. It is good for a laugh though. Then we really gross them out by putting malt vinegar and gravy on our fries.

I have a buddy from foreign lands with sketchy english skills who created his own unique solution. In restaurants he orders "cold" hot tea with ice.

 
At 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

iced tea straight up? this definetly makes you a supreme weirdo :)

 
At 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw, can you do the pop up comment thing?

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Sheena said...

What's the pop up comment thing?

And yes, sharktooth, it is funny.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Mark Turuk said...

It's also one of the things I love about The South.

They can keep that whole grits, gravy and biscuit thing though... ;)

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger CheekierMeSly said...

We call it sweet tea or unsweet tea, Sheena. That "not" thing is WAY too formal for the South.

About to make my first iced tea of the warmer season - herbal Black Cherry Berry, sweetened with juice. Gotta avoid the caffeinated kind.

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Canadian style better (more used to it). The unsweetened one would taste better to me if it was diluted 50%.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Leatherhands said...

I grew up on the sickly sweet crap here in Canada.
I was quite taken aback when I first tasted the real thing, so out of curiosity I added teaspoons of sugar to my glass to see how many it would take to match my taste memory.
It was something like 11 teaspoons of sugar. I've never touched that crap again.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger amanda said...

Ahh, yes, big fan of the unsweetened tea... and down here in NC, that's what it's called UNsweet. Otherwise it's tea, or as my hubs calls it sweettea. Bugs me right out. Almost like saying y'all. Yuck, guess I'll always be a northerner.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

mmm, sounds refreshing & tasty.
I agree our iced tea sucks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home