Sunday, March 11, 2007

Death Defying Morning Constitutional



Sheena predicts that by the year 2100 Americans will have evolved (mutated?) to footlessness. Not a big deal. Nobody down here walks anyways. My hotel is about a 2km walk each way from where I need to be during the day. And I have walked every time except once, when I got a ride late at night.

Sidewalks are random. They show up for a block or two and then disappear. Sometimes you see them pop up over on the other side of the road without warning. I've dodged traffic, drainage ditches, shopping mall parking lots, no-pedestrian-signal intersections. All in a small token effort to get a bit of exercise and not further pour pollutants into the air unnecessarily. But no one is gonna make it easy, that's for sure.

Added peril of having to run every time I see a big puddle. Someone told me once that everybody of water in Florida has an alligator with it. And I believed it.

Spanish Moss is what gives the city its Southern Gothic creepiness. Not as scary as Kudzu though. I'll save that one for later. The real danger with Spanish Moss, though is that sometimes it falls off the trees in clumps, and when you walk you can get tangled up in it. Like at brunch today at Andrew's this girl walked out the the ladie's room with a big clump of it trailing behind her and I was so "oh should I tell her or not".








6 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

neat (and creepy)!

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just like Tent Caterpillar season in some Canadian cities

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

YES!!!! Exactly!
Perfect analogy and now I'm pissed at me for not making the connection.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Whitenoise said...

YXE is the worst for tent caterpillars, although YEG seems pretty bad as well.

About the sidewalks, I've noticed that this seems to be an American thing, as well.

For example, the airport hotels at IAH are a jumble of converging freeways with hotels plopped within the loops and ramps. There are sidewalks that go nowhere, ending abruptly at highway underpasses. There are sidewalks 6 inches from 60 mph traffic.

But the worst is the gaggle of small white crosses along the roadsides. Is that where the unlucky pedestrians are buried?

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what? no pix of the girl

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what? no pix of the girl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home