Saturday, March 10, 2007

"POVERTY BREEDS CREATIVITY"


Last night Sheena exclaimed her undying adoration for the little hole-in-a-strip-mall called Cabo's when someone behind her mumbled something about "derelicts who drink there", and Sheena said "Huh".

Derelicts is such a Sheena's Mom's word and I loved that. So I vigourously denied such a state of affairs until late afternoon today when I dropped in for lunch/dinner and took a pass on the Bar Side and took the safer Grill Side next door.

Stuck my head in the door and just lost my nerve even though it was light out. Suddently realized I'd never actually been there by myself before, so did the sensible thing and glad I did because the bartenderess on the Grill Side was charming and nice and attentive.

Cabo's I think is the 3rd best Margarita ever, after #1 - Guero's in Austin Texas and the Slurpee style goodness at LoneStar. They have a few different types on the menu, but Sheena lurve the Top Shelf. An extra buck and change for premium brands and it's worth it. Rocks. Salt. Hand shaken. That is all.

Cabo's is a steal eats-wise. Lunch/dinner was a combo plate with beef burrito and chicken soft taco. Rice, no-lard refried beans, hot sauce and guacamole on the side. Managed to get through about 2/3 of the plate before I gave up.

Decor is fun. A heart felt homage to surfer culture which is 2 hours at best from reality in Tallahassee. Cabo's is a real part of the furniture. They give and take. The post title is from a 1996 newspaper article about the place.
Check it out, man.

3 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Blogger CheekierMeSly said...

Yer pull is strong, Sheena, haunting the cool joints of employers past. Ah, the nights where Cabos margaritas were much, much more important than sleep. Or food. Have another for me, Sheena. I'm with you in spirit.

And ... Kool Beanz? Do tell!

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger pam said...

Sheena, must be margarita afternoon. I was drinking margaritas in the market this afternoon and eating so-so mex.

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is outright teasing....all this good restaurant review stuff.....now git your arse over to the big island of hawaii so i can find inexpensive but great places to eat!!!!

well, i do recommend the cafe pesto in hilo and kawaihi, in fact, i may just do a 'sheenaism' on it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home