Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Unintended Side Effects of Wrinkle Cream

This post by MomTheMinx reminded me of something that happened last week shopping at Bloomingdales.

Several years ago in New Orleans, a few of us went to Jackson Square for some palm reading after a lovely dinner at K-Paul's. We picked an old wizardly man, dressed in leather breeches. Had long flowing grey hair and beard.

He read us all. Was fascinating. Pointing out the differences and similarities among us. We sniggered at how accurate some of the personality traits were. He sat up and took notice when it was Sheena's turn. My hand is different than most. Only seen it a few other times. His was like mine. A multitude of spidery thin lines, making it difficult to see some of the traditional lines. Mine was 1 in 10,000. He said represented an old soul: wisdom, insight, armchair strategist.

Walking through the cosmetics department, a taut peroxided woman approached us, offering us a sample of a new skin enhancement creme. It was meant to be put on the face before any make up, so that it would plump in any fine lines before the war paint. Skin looks smoother, younger.

She took a little sample on a stick and asked us to try it. Put out my hand and she rubbed it right in. Minutes later my heart stopped and I gasped. "Oh my God... I've lost my soul". Sure enough, the lines were gone. I felt very Bart Simpson for the rest of the day until it wore off.

9 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Blogger tkkerouac said...

funny.
so whats your drug of choice, moisturizer that is?

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Sheena said...

Oil of Olay, twice day since I was 18. Couple time a week exfoliate. Used to love the Lush "Angels on Bare Skin", but now I'm using this, at least until it runs out and I have to go back to New Mexico to get more.

Frankincense & myrrh scrub from Ojo Caliente Mineral Spa

 
At 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

my mom always swore by make-up. she'd say, "wear make-up. it'll save your skin."

so we didn't. we'd lay out in the backyard trying to tan, instead.

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought they dropped the "oil" part?

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Leatherhands said...

I prefer my weathered, calloused drummer hands. Gives me "hard worker" cred.
(Has nothing to do with my moniker, BTW.)

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

Good god almighty, whatever that woman was hawking - I WANT IT!

(I'm glad you got your soul back - I would miss it)

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger K-Dough said...

Ahem- David, you said the same thing to me the other night. You even gave me your cell number you bastard.

And to think, I was actually gonna call you. Men...

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so what does oil of iraq do to your hands? maybe bush has a whole new product on his hands.

hey, was in a terrif restaraunt the other day, loved it so much i was wishing i had my camera and could do a 'sheena' style photo review with pics of the food. drat!!!

how was the hawaiian music group feb. 2?

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tried Oil of Olay after a day of skiing and man oh man my face swelled up. That's how it works-makes the face puffy.
Nivea is the cream for me and besides it's cheaper

 

Post a Comment

<< Home