Sunday, February 18, 2007

February is Free Month

A recent post by Crazy Legs over at Theatre of Cruelty reminded me of why February is the shortest month.

Growing up in a middle-middle class family in a blue collar Prairie city, we kept our sanity through twisted humour and relentless one-up-manship. Sheena can't remember ever living through a winter where she didn't hear the words "February is Free Month". Competitive juices and never-pay-retail fierceness kept the Winnipeg winters at bay, warming our hearts with questionably procured booty.

Aunts, uncles, mothers, fathers, siblings and cousins. We made furtive evening phone calls, slammed down fists at Sunday dinners and in more recent years exchanged dissing emails. At the end of the month the bragging rights are awarded: He/She who gets the most free stuff by guile, contest or pure sheer luck was crowned winner for the year.

The last time Sheena won was about 8 years ago. That was when the stray kitten who refused to leave the front stairs finally was taken in for neutering and shots. We had agreed that he was officially adopted. Unfortunately there was another white cat at the vet that day. So when the poor darling was placed back into our arms, he not only was missing his balls, but no longer had any claws with which to scratch them. Yep - accidentally declawed during a mixup. All told, the free neutering, free declawing, free food and shots came to about $300 bucks. Sheena cried for her poor mutilated kitty, but won the family bragging rights, and that made it all OK.

So what's your free shit this month? Come on. Bragging rights on the table. Whaddya score?

15 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Blogger CheekierMeSly said...

Dang, Sheena. Month's mostly gone before you lay down the "free" gauntlet. So far all I've scored is the free crab rangoon at Trader Vic's, albeit without prompting. Scant time left for the challenge, but will watch this space!

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger tkkerouac said...

hmm. Does it count if you get free magazines. I steal all my magazines from the women's gym I belong to. At least two a day. Does stealing count?

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sure. stealing is free. i stole magazine holders from the office. although i buy my own magazines, tk. i'm not a thief.

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well...I've gotten a $35 hair product free in the mail (signed up for some contest somewhere), pore minimizing cream (no, not poor minimizer Sheena), free book from harpercollins.ca, free trip to Regina, and hopefully more to come in the next 10 days.

 
At 10:32 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Well, anon... I don't count free travel unless its on points or contest otherwise I WOULD TOTALLY KICK YOUR FROZEN ASS... but so far I am up to a $12 bottle of Monkey Bay Sauv Blanc from New Zealand that my chicken shit friend was too scared to pack in her suitcase BUT I WAS NOT, and a surfer punk branded beer cozy that I will give away as a gift so I hope they don't read this post just yet.

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch sheena. I sense hostility in your writing. Maybe my free hair relaxer would relax your mood as well.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Leatherhands said...

If biz related stuff counts, I think I've got ya all beat already. One of my clients just went tits-up and I inherited all their show materials which I was storing. I'm out about $1k in storage fees, it will cost me some dough to get rid of the non-reusable stuff, and of course, I don't have the ongoing business from them anymore, BUT... resale value on the re-usable stuff is about $7k.
When all is said and done, I'll be ahead about $6.5k. This is good. Fucking great, in fact.

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yesterday at The Works my friends and I got a free onion ring tower and a free burger combo. That's about $20 worth of free food.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger pam said...

I bitched so much about my "40 minutes or it's free" pizza arriving in 90 minutes that I got that pizza free and my next two pizzas free.

I have a clawless cat too. I muttered to my husband that I should the damn cat declawed when he was being neutered because he was scratching the furniture. I forget all about it until a few weeks later when I stopped at the vets to pick the cat after his surgery. I was told he'd have to stay the night because he'd been declawed. WTF??? My husband had dropped him off in the morning and asked that he be declawed while he was out. Because of our "miscommunication" my little kitten woke up without his balls or claws.

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

scored a free meal for 2 (no stated upper limit) as a thank you for a few late nights at work. also booking points flight for 2 to bc, and hoping for a $5000 windfall before months end (there is logical reason to be hoping for the latter)

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

I can tell I'm going to lose this contest, buuut...

... I did babysit for my family in the middle of nowhere for 2 weeks, for free, traveling on my own dime, so I felt justified when I stole not only a free toque that they got for Christmas from the local seed dealer, but also a great bandana (green) that perfectly matches my eyes, AND that I used as an eyeblind to get some sleep on the Greyhound coming back to TO.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

Hmm, on further consideration, it appears I lose this contest to my family...

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger saran said...

All I've got is a free Corona from the bartender at Academy Lanes. I've disappointed myself this year.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger K-Dough said...

I have an unlimited supply of free self-performed hand jobs.

Huh...huh?

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This week I won a contest: t-shirt, baseball hat, 3 or 4 pens, 1 pad of paper, 2 stickers, etc. I'm going to try harder to win this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home