Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Two Deads Are Better Than One


Regular readers of SheenaVision know that she is a piggish whore for all things D'Arenberg. Recently had the absolute sheer delightful pleasure of uncorking TWO Dead Arm Shirazes with my dear Georgia Peach, one of the few women who can rival Sheena's collection. Except she has a wine room. Yep. A whole room just for wine. Note to self... I hate her now.
I bought my first Dead Arm (a 1999) in Sydney a couple of years ago on my first visit down under. Have been buying and loving D'arenberg reds and whites ever since. Uncorked it with some appreciative friends and marveled at how it changed in the glass over a couple of hours. Decanting in advance a must.
We opened a 1997 and a 2000. The '97 was lovely. Rich and full, hints of chocolate and dark berry. Lots of swirling and sniffing. The 2000 was very nice, but not nearly as gorgeous as the older vintage. A little greener, maybe a bit of bell pepper. Probably still too early for it.
She has the whole series from 1995 to the recently 2004. Did I mention I hate her now? Sheena still has about a half dozen, but nothing older than '99.

7 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm....D'Arenberg wines are so good. Never tried the Dead Arm Shiraz, though I have heard nothing but raves about it.

I found some nice little splits of the Laughing Magpie Shiraz/Viognier at the World Exchange Plaze LCBO in Ottawa last year. Hope to find them again when I'm out there this weekend!

 
At 2:26 AM, Blogger Sheena said...

OH! well please visit the Rideau LCBO big time warehouse place if you can - downtown just a bit east of the Market. Downstairs is the biggest Vintages section in Ottawa.

And if you can, check out Vineyards in the Byward Market, A. Food is so-so but kick ass wine list and last I checked they had a Dead Arm on the list for about a 100 bucks..

 
At 2:46 AM, Blogger CheekierMeSly said...

Sheena, my ass-wine list is short. But growing, thanks to you.

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Leatherhands said...

Well, I have a "whine" room....where I send the kids for time-outs.

 
At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rideau LCBO. Been there, done that, loved it, just had trouble fitting it all in my suitcase.

My hotel is just around the corner from the World Exchange Plaza - thus my interest in it. Sadly, I checked online and they don't seem to stock the splits any more. Not sure how my conference would go if I stocked up on the full bottles instead...

But the Byward Market is an easy walk away, so maybe I'll get a chance to check Vineyards out - thanks for the tip!

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

Man, all these wine companies have the greatest names for things -- Dead Arm? I'd drink it based on the name alone.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

mmm..sounds good.
wish I had a wine room.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home