Sunday, July 02, 2006

Saturday Morning Grocery Run


On July 1, 2006, Sheena shook the hand of Mohamed Al Fayed. I think it's the richest hand shaken to date. Wondered what other hands had shaken that hand, and where it's been. Probably should have brought some Purell with me.

We had walked into Harrods around 2:30 pm, and he was mugging behind the Pizza Counter, putting on a bit of a show with the pizza makers. Guess he's had many years of practicing manipulating dough. He then came out into the crowd, with a security detail that would make most world leaders envious.

Shook babies, kissed hands, smiled and waved to all. Later on, one of my shopping companions chatted with a cashier, who asked if we'd seen the "Big Boss" go by. Apparently a Saturday tradition. He jets in from Switzerland.

Staff appear to be shocked and awed by him. Like to be busy serving customers when he comes by so they don't have to look him in the eye. They pray that he doesn't remember their face and look for a reason to keep their head down when he does his walkabout.

The Food Mall is in Sheena's Top Five List of Happy Places. I implore any and all readers who have the chance to visit London, please please go. Fruits, vegetables, cheeses, cuts of meat that you will never see anywhere else. Need a dozen pheasant eggs? Done! Want to hand cut your dried ham directly off the leg? No problem! Prefer your Dom Perignon in a Karl Lagerfeld designed bottle? We're the grocery store for you!

The sight of a big dark slab of Argentinian beef made the heart go pitter-patter. One display case was done up World Cup themed, with cuts of beef from all participating nations.

In visits previous, Sheena has brought back hand dipped chocolate figs, wild boar pates, foie gras with truffles, assorted teas and candies. This weeks souvenir is an old-style hot chocolate mix made with real chocolate flakes.

Forgot about the Dodi and Diana Memorial exhibit. Creepy and weird. Really needs to be moved. It impedes entrance to the Wine Shop.

5 Comments:

At 7:59 AM, Blogger Crazylegs said...

I visted Harrods back in 1985 during a de rigeur post-Student backpacking trip through Europe. My travelling companions and I had no actual, you know, money with which to purchase anything. But we managed to scrape up enough dough to each buy a single, black plastic comb; just to say we bought something at Harrods. It's a wonderful comb and still does the job 21 years later. It's probably time to buy a new comb, though. I'm sure technology has advanced.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

okay now I'm realllly jealous.
whole foods, pusitaries and cumbrea's can't top that!

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Sheena said...

I regret not taking an hour to myself in Austin TX last winter where the biggest newest Whole Foods had just opened up...

 
At 12:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I remember being in New York once and my only destination had to be Bloomingtons -just to get someone a bag to say that I had been there!

 
At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant Bloomingdales not Bloomingtons - same thing - all I wanted was a bag that had the store name on it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home