Monday, March 06, 2006

Monday Morning Armchair Slingback

Please find enclosed herein the inevitable Oscar commentary post. Also note that the author has not seen ANY of the films nominated this year.



The disturbing moments started when Dolly Parton came up the red carpet and my gut reaction was "Holy Shit She Looks Like the Joker". Look closely at the shape of her mouth. My nightmarish fear of clowns resurfaced last night.

During a real-time chat last night, a few shared their winner predictions. Didn't really know what to say, so offered my picks for Felicity Huffman for Best Visual Effects. And Heath Ledger for Best Original Score.



This picture doesn't do it justice, but twice I wondered if Jessica Alba had hair plugs.


Everyone tells me I need to go see Crash. I'm sure I will. Didn't even realize there was a Canadian connection until last night when Paul Haggis won for writing. I thought it would have been funny if David Cronenberg took out Haggis and ended up on stage to accept the award.


Weird how Thandie Newton won supporting actress for Crash at the BAFTA Awards last week, but not even nominated over here.





I thought the most cringe worthy moment was Cathy Schulman's fake hair. Why are extra long ponytail falls still sold to grownup professional women is beyond the comprehension of this observer.



Odd and ultimately unsuccessful Oscar commercial: the Mission Impossible 3 trailer with Tom Cruise and Seymour Philip Hoffman. I understand wanting to ride the coattails of SPH's recent success and now win, but positioning him as an action villan while millions of viewers still have Capote Voice in their heads made my tummy feel icky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home