Sunday, September 21, 2008

Close Encounters of the Tacky Kind



Sheena has long had a fascination with the mysterious cocktail bar up in the tower at LAX. I have no idea why. Maybe in my head years ago I mixed it up with trendy hipster joint SkyBar that is actually at the Mondrian Hotel. With a few hours to kill before the redeye back to Toronto this week, decided to check my bags and go up and look around.

Oh my.
Encounters was first built in 1961 to commerate the "jet-age". And well... it retains its original charm...

Substantial exterior facelift in progress now...



Didn't order food, but kicked back with a glass of Domaine Chandon (NV you shitheads). Food looked half decent, as I stared at those around me.

The washrooms and the elevators were the best parts of the UFO themed decor. Most of the big giant lava lamps weren't working. Might be cool at night though...





3 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Blogger Frank Frink said...

Honestly surprised you had never been up there.

It does predate The Jetsons by about a year or so, but I could imagine it as Mr. Spacely's favourite watering hole.

On the non-airport lounge side, The Space Room Lounge in Portland, OR is similar, maybe a bit more kitschy and downscale, but they do serve a very stiff cocktail.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger 668 aka neighbour of the beast said...

i too was fascinated by the lax restaurant. my experience was not so good tho.

ps.. the space room rocks.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Romantic Heretic said...

I almost expected Dr. Who to show up in that video.

Ot maybe Robbie the Robot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home