Sunday, February 25, 2007

Hell Hath No Fury Like a Woman's Corned...Beef



Have had a Corned Beef Hash fixation since that Sunday morning a few weeks back in Blue Ridge Georgia when Sheena chose grits instead and regretted it ever since.

So shopping on Friday when I saw a can of Hereford Beef up on the shelf and I insisted we buy it.

How to Make Kick Ash Hash (with kudos again to El Chaperone):

1. Chop up one potato into teeny little cubes. Sheena said "just grate them" but he insisted on the personal touch cubing.

2. Same thing with one medium onion. Heh heh... love to see grown men cry.

3. Smash up one can of Hereford Corned Beef. Make low guttural mooing sounds as you open the tin.

4. Saute the chopped potatoes and onions until mostly cooked through and almost tender to touch.

5. Add flaked up corned beef.

6. Add a couple of tablespoons of something wet to hold it together. We used BBQ sauce. Some recipes suggested hot sauce, ketchup or beef stock. That sounded gross.

7. Optionally, fry up an egg or two. Toast if you want it. Put the egg on top and poke it with a fork and let the runny yolk get all over it. Eat.

12 Comments:

At 7:03 PM, Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

This is starting to border on cruelty. I can't eat after 6pm if I want to look sexy in summer, and the IGA is now closed - how can I buy these ingredients??? Oh, blast you - it looks just perfect for the storm we're entering, too.

I just biked home, about 20-25 minutes, and I'm amazed how snowy I am.

Well, I'll settle for my Honest Ed's footspa instead of corned beef hash.

By the way - BEST POST TITLE EVER.

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is that a jack van impe coffee cup?

Wholly fucking shiite sheena, I hope to gawd you don't listen to that looney and his equally tooney wife?

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

jason bo

how do you bike in this weather?

you got spikes on your tires?

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Yes, it is Jacobin.

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that stuff! Zellers had it on sale 2 cans for $4 so I stocked up. My favorite is frying it up, making some garlic mashed potat's & mushing it all up..mmmmm......

 
At 1:54 AM, Blogger Various and Sunday said...

That is THE gnarliest looking potted meat. I had to quickly navigate away! And, sorry, but I think it was me who talked you into those grits. Seems my salting and peppering could not counteract their infinite blandness. Blech!

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

Spikes on the tires are a fine idea... hmm.

Who's Jack van Impe? Sounds like the devil living in a small Caribbean colony in an old Val Lewton flick.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

I think the IGA is still open... hmmmmmmm....

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Tonight is hot beef sandwiches with the leftover pot roast I did Sunday night.

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger petite gourmand said...

umm mm corn beef hash
I haven't had that since I was a kid.
I think it was my dads fav. thing to make on Sundays.
looks gross, but I bet it was de-lish.

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

Curse you! If only I hadn't vowed to return my abs to full visibility by spring....

I'll gnaw on another carrot, instead...

 
At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet the taste is ok but the look of the corned beef straight out of the can is gross. I think they serve this dish at Denny's.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home