Saturday, October 07, 2006

Staring Outside the Window



Last spring, Sheena moved into a new office with a window facing the neighbouring low-rise building across the parking lot. Not much to see really, few cars. Occasional delivery truck. The guys working in the building across the lot use their backdoor right outside my window to come out for smoke breaks, shoot the shit, have a coffee out in the sun.

Then Sheena started noticing that a couple of these guys in fact were not smoking. Not drinking coffee. And would come out even when raining. And they bring binoculars with them.

After the third, fourth, fifth time distinctly noticing the binocular-watching I finally mentioned this to El Chaperone, asking his opinion as to why they might be doing this.

"Do you think maybe they're chemtrail spotting?. "I dunno", he said. "What time are they out with their binoculars"

"Usually first thing, sometimes end of day too".

"Oh," he replied. "Probably not chemtrail spotting then. They usually only start spraying after 10am."

I believed him. He knows some pilots and they've told him where the chemtrail button is on an Airbus.

And so the summer moved on. Some days binoculars, some days not. Started inventing names for some of them. Bald skinny guy ("Putin") was a favourite. This last week seemed to be particularly active. Few days ago a whole gang of them out back, passing the binoculars from person to person. Seemingly pointed right at my window. That was it.

I charged into the office next door and told the guy in there that enough was enough. There were guys out there with binoculars pointed at my window. "Did you flash them" he asked. "No." I replied. Turns out the previous female occupant of that space had also been weirded out by the exact same behaviour last year.

Then he looked up at me and he said "Birds". Huh? I asked. "Birds" he said. Those guys are out there with binocular watching birds. Birds as in Sienna Miller/Kate Moss? Birds as in what is being flipped at them by women in windows? No, he said. Birds as in the wildlife in the area. They're just watching the birds.

Oh. Well that actually made sense. And then I walked back down the hallway. Thinking that crap. Here it is the first week of October already. It's fall, and a chill is in the air. And that it is migration season and the birds are all leaving. And that very soon my old neighbours would have nothing to look at. And I felt sad.

6 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Blogger Jacques Beau Vert said...

Hey Sheena,

Why don't you be a kind neighbour and get some plastic fake birds and affix them outside your window? Then they'd have something to do all winter.

What's your personal feelings on Peller Estates? I've just picked up one of their tetra paks and am curious about your thoughts on the company. Many thanks, and I think you should flash them,

Jason

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bird watching is a big thing. My dad is in a wheelchair and watches birds all day. He watches birds, I buy bird seed and fill bird feeders. I don't really understand it, but I think it's more interesting than Dancing with the Stars. Suet feeders should keep a few around for the winter.

 
At 6:34 AM, Blogger scout said...

birds or chicks? sounds like pervs to me. you got a camera with a nice long lens? i'd capture these people on film.

love 'putin'. heh heh.

 
At 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's bullshit. they're up to something.

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Sheena said...

Jason, sorry for the delay in my response to you... didn't want to reply until I had a few minutes to think about this one.

Peller Estates is one of several labels under the gianticonglomerate known as Andres Wines. Yes - Andres. Pioneer of the Canadian Wine Scene with crowd pleasers such as Baby Duck. My dear departed Granny's quaff of choice on special occasions. sniff sniff.

Also home of Domaine D'Or and Hochtaler. House wine of choice at 2 for 1 pasta buffets from coast to coast. (I remember a stupid alcoholic restaurant manager I used to work for who thought Hochtaler was German). What a rube.

I'm kind of torn on the issue of Peller right now. They and their early assembly line approach to wine making 30-40 years ago is what has caused the image and cachet of Canadian wines to be non-existant. It's been 30 years of damage control to overcome the plonk designation.

That being said, Peller - their "premium" label has poured a ton of money into the Niagara region. Much of it into construction and fancy buildings, but je digresse. I toured their fancy schmantzy flagship tasting centre a couple of years ago when it first opened and expected to hate it, but ended up picking up some of their premium reds - the Andrew Peller line - $40 range.

They also own Hillebrand, to whom I owe my early wine education. On my first niagara tour in the early 90s, their most excellent guided tour gave us the fundamentals of the wine tasting experience stripped of pretense and artifice and anytime I've taken a newbie to niagara, I always start with that tour to set the tone for the day. Have been a semi-regular buyer of their Trius line for many years and their Trius Brut is my Canadian sparkly go-to selection when I'm not in the mood to break the bank. I belonged to their Wine of the Month club for a few years, and would not hesitate to recommend it to the curious.

Now what has been bothering me lately is their purchase of smaller winemakers in the area, namely Thirty Bench. I used to buy quite a lot from them, and have found the quality to have slipped substantially over the last couple of years. I'm hoping not a cause & effect.

And I thought about you, Jason yesterday. I was at the LCBO on Dundas W near Ossington and they were doing free tastings of the Peller tetra paks. I tried the chardonnay. Probably wouldn't buy it if there were other choices, but it didn't make me barf, so there you go.

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer my char, unoaked but tetra'd

 

Post a Comment

<< Home