Thursday, March 23, 2006

Learn Something New Every Day

Today Sheena learned that New Mexico has a wine industry. Yes, New Mexico.

This stunning discovery was intitiated by a visit to the Wine List online menu at the historic La Fonda hotel in Santa Fe. The current hotel was built in 1905, but apparently historic records confirm that a La Fonda hotel has existed in Santa Fe almost back to its founding in 1607.

Clicking around the menu section, naturally Sheena inspects the wine list. Don't particularly care much for the fitness facilities, pet amenites, or valet parking services when I travel. My requirements are simple, I figure. A variety of good value, high quality, imaginative wines that are designed to complement the food offerings. I respect an establishment that makes the effort to showcase local ingredients and food styles. I'll always go for the local microbrew on tap, even if it's shit, just to give it a chance.

So imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon Gruet Winery, located near Truth or Consequence, NM. Neat. Focused on good quality bubbly, they've been producing since the late 1980s and are up to about 80,000 cases/year.

Looks like my off-day is now officially filled. Watch this grogspot for a full review in a couple of weeks.

2 Comments:

At 2:17 AM, Blogger ninepounddictator said...

Ok, Sheena, I've been reading your blogs religiously...who are you? What is it you do? I'm kind of obsessed now....explain!

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Mark Turuk said...

Who is Sheena? It is as easy to ask, what is the sun? What is the earth? What makes pizza so damned appropriate with beer?

Sheena defies description. I have known Sheena for... hmmm... almost 7 years now, though it feels like a lifetime.

I have drank with Sheena.

I have fought with Sheena.

I have wept with Sheena(figuratively, of course).

I have offered my condolences to Sheena the day that a heel broke off the prada shoes.

I have chided Sheena for her neverending ability to lose cell-phones. It really IS a rather remarkable gift she has in this regard.

I have congratulated Sheena on her ability to deliver the unthinkable, and the impossible.

To the ungrateful.

I have watched Sheena grow into the veritable intellectual giant that now she has become.

I wait in awesome anticipation for the next top ten list.

And, I think she still owes me a beer. For not raiding the wine-chache.

Regards,

Imp;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home